Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best waterproof for mtb and road work?
  • fadda

Having discovered the training benefits of a road bike after finally taking the plunge a couple of months ago, I'm now looking for a good waterproof for both that and mtb-ing.

My road numpty-ness means that i don't even know if there are any differences, but assuming there are, and knowing the wisdom on here, what are the different considerations and what suggestions do people have for a good waterproof that will do both?

Thanks in anticipation…

GW
    Free Member

road WORK?

all waterproofs are horrible on a bike, fit mudguards or MTFU

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fadda

Good point GW, should probably have stuck with "bicycling"…

TJ – I think you've found the perfect answer! 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

dunno how good they are but i was looking at a lovely endura event jacket yesterday i was amazed with the quality compared to my current endura one. was about 110 tho

duntmatter
    Free Member

firestarter
    Free Member

venturi or something it was called actually

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends how long you are out in the rain for GW. I did a 4 hr ride in an utter downpour and without waterproofs that would have been miserable. As it was I was nice and dry and warm with a full set including fedora hat.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Sorry but I cant compete with the advice you have already been given, but if you want to read on please do 🙂

In my opinion waterproofness on an MTB and a road bike are 2 different things

On the MTB I wear an event type shell thing
    For MTBing its OK
    Its a bit sweaty but not too bad

However on my MTB Im rarely flogging myself 'in the zone' like you do on a road bike
    My MTBing is more social and less intense
    Even riding alone Im usually stopping to take in the views frequently
    On the roadie I just get on and hammer it

On the roadie the eVent just isnt breathable enough

My choice for road is a gilet to keep the rain off my trunk and I let my arms and legs get wet
    For as long as Im giving it what for I generate enough heat for this to be OK

So there you go

And can I be the first to use the string vest or plastic bag but not both theory 🙂

fadda

Good point, Sproticus – thanks. Sounds like two items might be a good idea then…?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Some road kit might not be tough enough for off road riding – branches, brambles catching on it, mud getting ground into it etc.

clwydrider
    Free Member

Agree with Sporticus, gillet is ideal for spring summer and autumn. For the wimter I wear a winter training jacket over a vest, most of the big companies do them, well worth the money. I've had my Castelli one for about 7 years and although it leaks on the seams you don't really notice it.

zaskar
    Free Member

I use an Endura Stealth for winter and wet rides.

Could be costly on a mtb as you get tears from branches and falling off.

Consider a shower proof jacket that is warm and take a water proof jacket that wraps up so you can take it along and chuck it on over your jacket in a downpour.

I use a gillet if it's cold and windy in summer or autumn but not for winter.

You want a base layer and jersey and a jacket for winter.

In winter I have ridden 40 miles on road with just a thin lycra type base layer and Stealth and I hate the wet and cold days with a vengence.

GW
    Free Member

TJ – 4hrs? is that meant to be a long duration? 😕

GW
    Free Member

oh, and gillets? eat more pies!! 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – long enough to get thoroughly wet and miserable without waterproofs. It was proper pishing it down the whole time. 4 hrs heavy rain. No way would it have been teh pleasant warm and dry experience it was without a full waterproof suit and hat 🙂

When were you last out for 4 hrs in heavy rain at less than 10 C?

GW
    Free Member

sorry, I don't ever carry a thermometer, but Friday'd probably qualify.

GW
    Free Member

or was it Thursday? 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW in "Butcher than everyone" shocker 😮

Seriously tho, it's a v hard question to answer. Proper waterproofs are not that breathable, breatheable shower proof jackets let more sweat out but will not be waterproof.

Personally I don't use my goretex that miuch these days, more my windstopper, but I tend to do shorter rides and not go out if it's lashing down.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best waterproof for mtb and road work?’ is closed to new replies.