Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Betd mech hangers? Or OE replacement?
  • craig5

Found out at the weekender that my mech hanger on my pitch was well bent out of shape, (thanks shimano boys for getting me going again) so do I replace it with a stronger betd unit or a softer OE replacement? I thought the point of a replaceable mech hanger was to be the week point, so saving your frame in a smash. If I put the betd hanger on is that going to mean I’m more likely damage my frame instead of the hanger? And what happened to breakaway mech bolts?

Andy

I found the CNC BETD excellent compared the the made-of-cheese forged Santa Cruz OEMs. Still sufficiently sacrificial, but not liable to snap with no reason.

breadcrumb

I just got a oe one as a spare, as you say, a stronger one makes very little sense…

carlphillips
    Free Member

snapped 2 betd hangers in 2 weeks a wee while ago, i’d say they did their job well and are sufficiently soft enough.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A mech hanger not only saves your frame, it saves your mech as well!
    It needs to break before either of those, or you’re walking home. You can’t do an emergency SS conversion on a FS bike!!!! 🙂

Therefore, stronger is silly.

I’ve got through a few hangers in my time on Spesh bikes and a Yeti and I always buy OE ones.

I also buy one BEFORE I even ride the bike, and carry it with me. That’s saved a loooong walk home twice so far 🙂

granny_ring

See if this guy does them for your bike, not used mine yet but bought a couple.

these

kaiser
    Free Member

You can’t do an emergency SS conversion on a FS bike!!!!

yes you can ..i’ve done it on a giant NRS . Just pump the shock up rock hard . Admittedly the ride back was mostly on the road and required careful pedalling .

rickmeister

and I think Betd do a one size fits all emergency hanger, as every TCL/MBL candidate will know…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Betd mech hangers? Or OE replacement?’ is closed to new replies.