Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bet you didn’t know this…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

A Marilyn is officially defined as any hill that has a drop of at least 150 metres on all sides, regardless of distance, absolute height or topographical merit. At the last count there were 1542 of them

The Relative Hills of Britain

My closest is:
    Ranked=1151 425m 1394ft Worcestershire Beacon

druidh
    Free Member

If the Marilyn is in Scotland and is also a discrete peak over 3,000ft, it’s a Marilyn Munro……..

bruneep

well done, I actually did snigger 🙄

djglover
    Free Member

I did too, and that Leith hill in Surrey is one.

househusband

Cool; I ‘did’ a Marilyn today – Dumyat!

chakaping
    Free Member

Too good to be true, surely?

Moses

Nope, the term was invented as a joke / pun as a derivative of Monroe.

chakaping
    Free Member

And who says hillwalkers are all humourless, overdressed, pole-wielding coffin dodgers?

PS. I’m a hillwalker, so not me.

antigee

me thinks stoner and druidh set that one up but i did laugh

– suspect next they’ll be doing a utube wearing jim jams and reading bed time stories morecombe and wise stylee

aracer
    Free Member

How much was the bet? I knew both parts (existence of said hills, and which your closest is). Did you know what your second closest used to be though?

Stoner
    Free Member

Bredon Hill is my second closest I think

Stoner
    Free Member

and the bet is for Kudos points, naturally! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

You’re wrong about your second closest – though the hill I’m thinking about is actually slightly further away than Bredon Hill as well, so would only have been your 4th closest (assuming you lived in the same place in ~’96). It was my 2nd closest for a short period though…

aracer
    Free Member

Trekster

OS 78..Queensberry and Crifell are my closest. Crifell has been done twice but never again, just plain daft!!! Queensberry can be added on to Ae by hiking up through the trees.
    Most others on that map have probably been done without looking at the map/area, Southwest Scotland.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bet you didn’t know this…’ is closed to new replies.