Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bet this has never been asked before on here – best wooden handled secateurs
  • brack
    Free Member

Ok all you gardening fans..

Best wooden handled secateurs for a christmas present.

chiefgrooveguru

Why wooden handled? Felco!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I know that wooden handles in general are kinder to the hands, but for secateurs I’d suggest Felco and a pair of gloves. I’ve had a pair (of secateurs) in frequent use since 2005. Gloves just don’t seem to last though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bet this has never been asked before

Close enough…

burko73

Felco all the way. Nothing else compares. Plenty of sizes/ shapes too.

Just don’t let the misses use them and forget what she did with them……..

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Having used various Felco secateurs over the years I have recently switched to these- http://www.niwaki.com/store/tobisho-secateurs-pruners/ Very impressed with them and Jake @Niwki is very helpful.

piemonster

Marin No8

Those buggers are lovely, me wants. I like sharp metal stuff

piemonster
    brack
    Free Member

Cheers everyone…those Falco no 8 look the mutts nutts though a tad out of my price bracket 🙄

brack
    Free Member

Cheers everyone…those Falco no 8 look the mutts nutts though a tad out of my price bracket 🙄

Who would have believed that a secateur post had featured twice !?

MarinNo8
    Free Member

@Piemonster Me too!! I always regarded Felcos as being the best but these Niwaki are pretty special. Be warned they are very sharp and blade heavy. I drop mine one day on my foot and luckily I was wearing thick leather boots as they plummeted point first into the top of my boot. If I had my Hunters on no doubt they would have easily pierced them and my foot. Also come in handy for cutting thick clothing when the NHS issue safety scissors fail! 😀

unfitgeezer
    Free Member
    kiwijohn

As a vineyard worker, I hate Felcos. The rigid alloy handles are too stiff & jarring.
    I prefer Bahcos with a composite handle. Much more comfortable to use all day & lighter too.

brack
    Free Member

Ok I’m literally flabbergasted by the responses…as I expected my post to smply slide in to oblivion.

I see that wooden handled secateurs are not being recommended so will go with the advice… But … For a present to a garden enthusiast – not professional, with a £25 budget (sorry I should have said) what do you suggest.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Try Tk maxx , we bought a pair of wooden handled secateurs and knife set by the National Trust, very nice looking present and good enough for the normal gardener/ potterer type.
    As suggested above the Bahcos are comfortable and a pleasure to use.
    Matt.

jools182
    Free Member

This forum is ace

timbur
    Free Member

I had some cheap wooden handled ones when I was setting up. Came from your average garden centre and worked well.
    Now use Felco’s and do lot of apple tree work. They are an investment but well worth it.
    Look here;
    http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/landscaping-equipment/secateurs/
    Basic felco’s in your price bracket. Some of the Wolf ones look good to. I’d always go bypass for a clean cut. Anvil ones are a bit caveman IMHO!

timbur
    Free Member

These were the ones I had by a chap called Joseph Bently.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDMAN-QUALITY-HANDLED-MOULTON-SECATEURS/dp/B002HXMQC8

DrJ

Welcome to secateurtrackworld.com

timbur
    Free Member

We did pruning saws last week as well.
    How about lopers and axes next week?
    Got some Fisker lopers on route from a friend so looking forward to them as my lopers are a bit tired.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bet this has never been asked before on here – best wooden handled secateurs’ is closed to new replies.