Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best/most powerful track pump for inflating UST tyres?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I've got a pretty crap floor pump but was amazed when my UST Nobby Nic went straight up on a Flow rim. Maybe this was a fluke and I need to get a better floor pump anyway, so what's the best one out there? The one that will inflate the most amount of air quickest?

njee20
    Free Member

Not a fluke, just a sensible tyre choice!

Blackburn Air Tower is the most powerful track pump you can buy IMO, you'll get some big arms using it too!

Edit: they don't seem to do the really powerful one anymore, they did one that had a crazy barrel about 4" across.

DezB
    Free Member

I'd go for a Lezyne.

Seeing as I can pump my UST tyres up with their minipump, the track pump must be good!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Also, I can see myself getting anal about tyre pressures now I'm a UST convert. What do you use to test pressures? Is there a really good quality digital gauge out there?

DezB
    Free Member

Also, I can see myself getting anal about tyre pressures now I'm a UST convert. What do you use to test pressures?

Dunno, I just pump em up to about 38psi and leave em.

grumm
    Free Member

38 PSI tubeless? Crikey, think mine are around 25.

njee20
    Free Member

Disagree with doing it by CO2 all the time, it'll get expensive, even if you bulk buy a lot of cartridges, pointless. Keep the CO2 for punctures on the trail.

chvck
    Free Member

My front is about that, rear runs at about 40 and I still pinch flat it! (yes it is tubeless)

njee20
    Free Member

You need to learn how to choose lines then…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

oxford do a little blue digitaly thingymabob for checking/adjusting tire pressures. About £12 and by far the most usefull tool in my shed, you can set the pressures to within 0.1psi, but realisticaly I'd say 1.5psi is about as sensitive as any rider needs.

maxxis HR 2.35 SPC's
    25.5psi front
    26.8psi rear

grumm
    Free Member

Disagree with doing it by CO2 all the time, it'll get expensive, even if you bulk buy a lot of cartridges, pointless. Keep the CO2 for punctures on the trail.

Only talking about using CO2 for the initial inflation if the track pump fails.

Er…. how do you pinch flat a tubeless wheel?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the beto one in the bike shed at work shifts a serious ammount of air (three strokes to get road tires upto 110psi!)

chvck
    Free Member

You need to learn how to choose lines then…

Aye, that's probably about right

Think I ride too heavily over the back end or something like that, don't really know

njee20
    Free Member

three strokes to get road tires upto 110psi!

I'd suggest the gauge isn't working then!

You can either pinch the tyre between the rim and the ground and break the seal, or theoretically actually stab a hole in the tyre.

Jamie
    Free Member

In relation to the OP i use a £5 aldi track pump for inflating my UST tyres. Works lovely.

chvck
    Free Member

theoretically actually stab a hole in the tyre.

That's the one I'm good at!

DezB
    Free Member

I have suspension.

grumm
    Free Member

Me too. I find grip much better at around 25-30 PSI though – it's big part of the point of going tubeless imo.

srrc
    Free Member

You are missing one of the main benefits of tubeless if you blow them up hard.
    I'm heavy yet only use about 30 psi in the rear and 25 in the front without problems.
    A decent UST has a sidewall designed for this, it won't get all wobbly like a underinflated tubed tyre and will still roll ok on the road.

I use an airline for the initial inflation.

devs
    Free Member

Put on a Conti Vert UST and look at a pebble. That's how.

DezB
    Free Member

Been using UST for over 3 years and I like em just how they are thanks. No problems with grip, inflation, punctures, pinches or anything else thanks.

Airline? I use a minipump.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope, not a broken guage, michelin 20mm tires, big bore pump, and a heavy rider doing the pumping.

It does shift a serious ammount of air though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best/most powerful track pump for inflating UST tyres?’ is closed to new replies.