• This topic has 81 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • best YHA you have ever stayed in?
  • ton

made a plan to stay in a different hostel every month of the year. hopefully ones that I have not stayed in before.
    went to Helmsley last, which was nice and cosy, and we had it all to ourselves. going to Malham this weekend, which is a new one to me also.
    whish hostel do you like? or is worth a visit?

Drac

The one in town here had big revamp a few years back, it’s pretty good. Went for a pie, peas and bingo night a few weeks back to raise money for my eldest guides group, it’s pretty impressive.

http://www.alnwickyouthhostel.co.uk

Houns

Tick

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andytherocketeer

Aviemore SYHA.

grum
    Free Member

Black Sail has the best location of any I’ve been to. Torridon one also has an amazing location and is run by very sound people.

peterfile
    Free Member

Torridon!

convert

YHA Llangattock Mountain Bunkhouse

Right near Crickhowell for MTB – what’s not to like!

kazafaza
    Free Member

Hartington Hall +1

cyclistm
    Free Member

I love the look of the camping pods at southease, I think its called YHA south downs now.

http://www.yha.org.uk/places-to-stay/alternative-accommodation/camping-pods

Not stayed in them yet though.this summer hopefully

midlifecrashes

Langdon Beck was special for me, partly because of the position on my favourite two days of the Pennine Way. Walking up from Bowes with Middleton in Teesdale and High Force, then setting off the next morning with Cauldron Snout and High Cup Nick on the menu before dropping down to Dufton, where the YHA is pretty good too.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Stayed at that hostel in Malham before when I was walking the Penine way I quite liked it but maybe that is because it was a complete luxury compared to the tent I had been sleeping in for the previous few nights.

winston
    Free Member

Blacksail is hard to beat

After doing the CTC we stayed in Whitby YHA up on the hill – that’s pretty cool

leffeboy

Malinbeg hostel in Donegal. Not sure it is yha now and it isn’t necessarily the must luxurious ever but the location is stunning and for that it is a winner

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tongue for location and building

wellington nz yha …. For an innercity yha its outstanding

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Probably long gone now, but the old school house hostel in Kyle of Lochalsh was the one I was most happy to reach after a day riding into torrential rain and wind across Skye. They had a wood burning stove going to greet us.

We met up with a bunch of sixty and seventy year old CTC guys on Mercians and Bob Jacksons. Great bunch of guys that reminded me that touring was awesome once I had thawed and dried out.

I’m keen to visit the Loch Ossian hostel this year.

lunge

Not been there for a while but Ambleside was always very good.

stevie750

Bernaray hostel

it’s very rustic but the most amazing location.

All the gatliff hostels have great locations but Bernaray is the best.

ransos
    Free Member

Sydney: the roof top terrace gives you a terrific view of Circular quay and the Opera House.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

If you want to go way north Shetland Link 5 star!

budgierider67

Youlgreave is in a loveley village with a couple of good pubs & some great White Peak riding or more sedate touring stuff like the Monsal Trail.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah forgot about sydney.

We stayed at the old station yha…..in the old train carriges

dknwhy

I haven’t stayed in many but here is my verdict on the ones I have stayed in…

Libanus in the Brecon Beacons is great as a remote location, close to Pen Y Fan.

Canterbury is nicely modernised and a short walk to the city.

Lulworth Cove is a bit tired but some great walking right on the doorstep and 2 minutes from a lovely thatched pub.

Sheringham is another place that could do with some work but is close to some good beaches.

duckman

Loch Ossian is a cracking location. Torridon,well it is huge and in Torridon. I bought a new map there,forgot to take it home. It arrived in the post with hand drawn pics on the envelope,top staff and fantastic service!

lunge

Youlgreave is in a cracking location, beautiful little village. If you do stay there, just be aware they lock up at 11pm and you will struggle to get back in. I know this from experience…

ton

stayed at loch Ossian, and also staying at berneray in may this year.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Borrowdale is nice.

kcr
    Free Member

Achmelvich. Right on the beach.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Achmelvich. Right on the beach.

Awsome, was there last summer. In fact when was that pic taken? Looks like my lot in the small cove on the right they swam every day there for a week.

marcus7
    Free Member

Black sail for me, proper old school and great selection of beers!!!

piemonster

Admittedly it’s not a (S)YHA.

But as a building for group use, Blackrock cottage has been my favourite. Fantastic building. The only downside is the road.

The Ling Hut has been my favourite setting however.

thomthumb
    Free Member

minehead. fantastic victorian house. very clean and great riding from the garden.

keswick. clean, good food, good location. big and a bit lacking in character if i’m being picky.

Cardiff one in city centre: never stayed there but it has a great bar; on the river.

fasthaggis

Ingleton was a good location ,walks straight out the door.
    Malham the same ,nice wee roads to get there.
    Grinton was good and more great roads on route.
    Kettlell ditto above.

We used to do YHA every Easter/May bank when the kids were small,ideal places for meeting up with other friends and their families.

Edit > Oh,and they all have decent pubs close by 😉 < edit

gringo

Ilam Hall in the Peak District is pretty amazing!

IA

Another +1 on torridon.

Sat watching sunset over the hills out the big picture window in the lounge with a wee pot of vanilla Mackies and a wee dram after a big ride….ace.

ton

I have stayed in a few of the syha ones, they always seem nice.
    staying in a few independent ones come may on uist, harris, skye and mull.
    cant wait…… 8)

samunkim
    Free Member

Beer is good, friendly staff, nice inside, en-suite & family rooms

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/beer

Boswinger was also good stayed there during a massive storm, really felt isolated…

Wells on Sea also nice, always booked with families though.

Abroad – Dubrovnic is okay but you have to carry your bike up about 149 steps to get to hostel and there’s no bike shed

antigee

Whitby-in the very very old Abbey buildings and a short but steep walk down for fish and chips

St Briavels on edge of Forest of Dean – 1st as a teenager on a cycling road tour and then a couple of times with my kids – a real castle with real ghosts – possibly

fogliettaz
    Free Member

These 2 bring back memories of the late 70’s when backpacking and grape picking in France & Spain.

http://www.irun.org/albergue/ fantastic location

http://www.auberge-jeunesse-bordeaux.com/?lang=en some good parties went on here leading up to the grape picking season.

BillMC

Hartington Hall: ask for the Bonnie Prince Charlie room

lowey

Ahh this brings back memories… not been hostelling since i was a teenager.

My favourites
    Black sail – just for its location
    Honister Hause – ditto
    Longthwaite in Borrowdale… lovely site
    High Cross – Loughrigg – Beautiful building in nice grounds.
    Wasdale Hall. Views from the Garden are stunning.
    Westerdale Hall – Sadly sold off.
    Kirkby Stephen, an old converted church with a great chippy next door.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘best YHA you have ever stayed in?’ is closed to new replies.