Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best XC Bike Hire in Scotland
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Going up to Aviemore his year and am looking to hire a bike up there. I know bothy bikes hire good bikes, but is there anywhere better in scotland? anywhere in scotland really as can easily pick them up and drop them off en route.

devs
    Free Member

Sigh! Just park up at the bike shop and you’ll be able to ride the rest of the way to wherever you are going. Make sure you check out the chip shop too, it’s a belter.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

agreeable, but i dont want to be riding round on a raleigh Max for 6 days!
    The Chip Shop in aviemore?

druidh
    Free Member

You’re going to Aviemore and there’s a great bike shop right there, where you want it. Why on earth would you want to start looking around/driving around somewhere else?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Because if i am driving through somewhere with an absolute belter of a bike shop 🙂 I could stop on the way. I should think i will use bothy but 7 bikes for 6 days im on the prowl for a deal

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Listen to what druidh says. The man speaks sense

Other places have good hire bikes – but if something goes wrong………….

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Now there is a good point
    it just worrys me having a bike with Hub Gears :S I’ve never had one before and is 8 gears really enough round there?

devs
    Free Member

Sorry was being obnoxious. People don’t seem to realise how big Scotland is, as you’ll find out!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Its just the Alfine gears putting me of fthere bikes

bajsyckel

There are places for bike hire that I’ve used a while back in Steornabhagh and in Lerwick – they had derailleurs and were excellent value if you don’t fancy hub gears.

Alternatively, you could give the alfine a go- I ride one of Bothy Bikes ex hire bikes (completely stock) after seeing how good they were as hire bikes. Idiot proof, handle well, and will get you up and down Carn Ban Mor (and more) if you’re fit.

AJ
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, think of it as a bounus no rear mechs to bust, and the 8 gears will get you everywhere and when they don’t you’d be pushing on any bike. David at bothy does offer multi day hire deals too.

I would say that though as i spend enough time in there people always think i work there.

There aint many bike shops hiring £1400 bikes either.

Andy

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Erm, I’m assuming you’re driving up if you can call in at any shop en route – why aren’t you taking your own bike?

martinxyz
    Free Member

because his alfines getting fixed!

I think dave said he had one alfine problem out of all those hire bikes. i would guess 50 odd bikes over the years at least. nothing to worry about.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

That sounds Ok then 😀
    errmm i dont fancy having 5 bikes on the roof for 600 miles 🙂 thats why.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ah, didn’t realise there was a group of you going.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Yeah aha,
    and most of us ride DH bikes or 4X so not really suitable

flyingfox
    Free Member

Our shop of course – best bikes in the whole world. Bothy Bikes are a good set of lads by the way.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

haha Flying Fox
    yes i would love to but am i going to get 6 XC bikes for 6 people for 6 days under a thousand smackers?

Dair
    Free Member

I think everyone should give a little ground and say sorry so that the OP can do what he now knows he should do and with his head held high – go see Dave at Both Bikes.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Thank You
    I wasn’t trying to cause conflict haha merely enquire 🙂
    It could also be helpful in any other future trips i organise 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

In my relatively limited experience, Bothy Bikes is the best bike shop in Scotland, plus it’s where you are going to be based so no issues if something breaks, and you can ride the whole Cairngorms right from the door.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Yes, it would be!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best XC Bike Hire in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.