Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best work stand??
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a Park PRS20 (I only have qr dropouts on my bikes) but anyone either used one of these or got a better recommendation?

Muke
    Free Member

Depends how much you are going to use it, for me the £30 Lidl special one is just right.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ve got a Topeak that supports the bottom bracket/downtube – looking to sell it as I’ve got a bikethat doesn’t fit it, so I’ve bought a wall mount version

simonbowns@me.com if you’d like photos/chat details. It’s not current but is similar to this one, but with a beefier base.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The PRS20, or any stand that needs you to drop the wheel out are a waste of money. It really limits the work you can do. You couldn’t:
    Adjust front brake
    Service headset
    Service front forks

Plus you have to drop the wheel out every time you use it – what a faff!

I’ve got this:
    Bike Hut Stand

For the money it’s great, but had I seen the X-tools one, I’d have got that instead. It’s cheaper and a little more stable:

X-Tools Stand

The other parktools stands are OK, but really not worth the money. The best stand you can get is the bike shop stand by Kestrel – you can see them in the workshops of most bike shops. They are expensive (£450 last time I looked), plus they take up a lot of space.

iainc
    LoCo
    Free Member

Kestral cast iron base one which weighed a ton I used in a shop I worked in years ago, although would have been good with the clamp off the PRS20 I have now, which is pretty good.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

This is how I stand at work, I find it good for my posture and self esteem😉

br
    Free Member

Park 9 works well, with any bike.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The OP asked for best work stand and everyone is suggesting budget stuff.

Stands like the X-Tools ones are not very stable – I had a Minoura RS5000 which is the same stand but with a good clamp – I gave it away in the end as I was frustrated with it.

That Park on Amazon looks better as the legs splay out more.

I now have the Feedback Pro-Elite stand and it is excellent – there is a reason that lots of pro teams use them. It is stable enough to support my flux upside down or vertical, which I sometimes use when working on the suspension.

It has a nice clamp release mechanism – look at 0.43 and 0.56 on this video:

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve used kestral ones before, and they are agricultural in a way that they feel like they will last forever, but aren’t sophisticated in any way whatsoever. They also weigh a ton, so if you move your workstand around even occasionally you’ll hate it. They clamp just fine, but they aren’t really special in any way. The reason lots of bike shops use them is because they can be bolted to the floor, and then will just never stop working.

If that sounds like what you want, then go ahead, but for the cost I would personally go with a park tool stand. Maybe your needs are different though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

+1 for the Feedback. Folds well, lightweight, excellent clamp. I’ve not used better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best work stand??’ is closed to new replies.