Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best Winter Tyres
  • neiloxford
    Free Member

What are your views? Ideally on the cheaper side.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Trailrakers work really well for me in Chilterns mud, but they ain’t cheap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would help if you say what and where you ride. Are we talking 1.9 mud spikes or 2.35 rock tyres.

rOcKeTdOg

mud x round here

matt_outandabout

Same as summer ones i find. Last year was Ardent 2.25, this year XR4 2.2’s.

mulv1976
    Free Member

High rollers seem to be the best all rounders tbh

Rakers are brilliant in mud but any damp roots or rocks and they are lethal

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathons

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You just need to replace the nearly bald tyre you normally run on the back with one that had some widely spaced centre knobs so you get some climbing grip. Then drop 5 psi in both tyres and carry on.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Currently on a 5 spot in the chilterns, lots of mud at present !

Got a reasonable rear tire with lots of space, but the front one is just a very good mud collector 🙁

neiloxford
    Free Member

Sounds like Trailraker or Mud X 🙂 thanks guys, just got to see which i can get cheapest…

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been impressed with the Maxxis Advantage LUST tyres on the bike I’m riding at the moment. They coped with the gloop pretty well today.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Going with the Bontrager Mud XR tyres which are rebranded mud x from what i can see 🙂

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Kenda SB8 for the rear I have just discovered. Still to find my preferred front. 😀

martinxyz
    Free Member

Kenda small block eight for the rear during winter.. posted by someone calling themselves Uphill cursing!

Why are you cursing uphill? ;O)

lecky94
    Free Member

Maxxis beavers …rode some nice technical wet/root/ rocky stuff yesterday without a problem,best winter tyre ive used in 25years .

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cause I am in the Southern Hemisphere 😀 and November is heading into summer!

tomaso
    Free Member

Same tyres all year, just fresh tread for winter. But where you ride makes all the difference. Its always wet and rocky with patches of bog and mud in the Lakes = dual ply Minions or High Rollers.

If I was in Sussex trying to cope with clay in the valleys I’d be going for something skinnier and more open and probably not dual ply.

ps44
    Free Member

Finally got around to putting on Trailrakers to cope with Shire mud, which is fine, but I’d forgotten just how draggy they are on the road 🙁

Clink

What buzz said. Most winters I’ve gone to a Mud-x on the back. This year, on the Jones, I’ve stuck with high volume tyres at low pressure – 2.4 Ardent on front, 2.4 Racing Ralph on rear. So far but great on Mendip.

bikebouy
    Free Member

New HansDampfs front and rear here. Bit heavy and my legs felt the change from summer to winter tyres.
    First ride out in he quagmire that I’m currently encountering in the normally dry South Downs forests. Good grip, solid, probably running them a bit high on pressure but ill sort that out tomorrow when I go again.

Trails are just a mess of clay and thick mud, no hard pack whatsoever today. Which is the first time in a very long time.
    😐

Northwind

Conti Baron for me… Unfortunately not cheap, but it’s brilliant in mud, without being crap at some other surfaces like every other mud tyre. Gives away a little on hardpack compared to a Minion or similiar as you’d expect.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Bontrager xr mud, cuts through the slop, ace side knobs for cornering and sheds mud well, also held up well on wet rocks in Hebden Bridge today.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best Winter Tyres’ is closed to new replies.