Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Best winter comfort food for lazy, softy sods who are fed up with the bloody weather!!
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

What pie and what soup would you recommend?

IIRC it was a warm pork pie in a bowl of Heinz cream of tomato. Or possibly a Hollands meat & potato from just up the road in Accy.

There’s a similar delicacy in Bratfud, known locally as a “pie & pea supper”. Warm pork pie, mushy peas and (this is the bit that really turned me off) lashings of the mandatory mint sauce

I worked in Haslingden for a couple of years, it was there that I was introduced to “pie in a barm” and “pie in soup”.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Worked with a lad from Blackburn (and his missus) and every time she wasn’t looking it’d be tomato soup with a sausage roll in it with a yorkie for pudding. Type 1 diabetic, too.

Cheese on toast for me.

Pigface
    Free Member

I tried cheese (Brie) and honey at a party the other day, it was lovely

blader1611
    Free Member

Binners – toasted waffles topped with cheese and ham and sauce of your choice in between 2 slices of bread or three if you go for a double decker sandwich.

blader1611
    Free Member

John D – pie and peas is a classic yorkshire thing and has to be eaten on bonfire night coz its the law.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just a glass of port, dark chocolate and a roaring log burner.

Besides the indigestion, does the log burner not burn your mouth?

Cougar

I worked in Haslingden for a couple of years, it was there that I was introduced to “pie in a barm”

Ah, now what you have there is a Wigan Kebab.

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, but mint sauce??? 😯

I’d much rather have a sausage butty, followed by some parkin and perhaps some bonfire toffee while burning an effigy of a failed terrorist

tops5
    Free Member

I was at a do last night and was treated to deep fried cheese and onion sarnies – bloody lovey they where too!

Lifer
    Free Member

Cheese and honey is a classic combination! Not sure about the instant coffee though…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Pea and ham soup today, with bread and butter.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Ah, now what you have there is a Wigan Kebab.

Nah, that’s a ‘slappy’.

A Wigan kebab is 3or4 pies on a stick, like a kebab…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I keep saying – it’s me mom’s own 1970’s Rover Strike Special Spuds:

Hot crispy-jacketed spuds – halved lengthways, emptied, contents mashed together well with salted butter and corned beef until you have dark pink potato.

Return the meaty mash to skins, top with lots of sliced or grated cheddar cheese, return to oven or medium grill until all is bubbly golden or you can’t wait any longer.

Die and go to comfort food heaven. Add sausage on side and be reincarnated and go again. Add frozen peas if still feeling guilty.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I can’t believe we’re 2 pages in and no mention of mash- the ultimate comfort food, creamy mash with butter, or with sausage and onion gravy ya pie and soup eating bastids

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I can’t believe we’re 2 pages in and no mention of mash

I posted the Ultimate Mash just above 😉

ElShalimo

Another easy one:
    Cut butternut squash lengthways in half
    De-seed, sprinkle on some cumin seeds, apply oil or butter and crushed garlic
    Roast for about 1hr
    Scoop out the flesh, mix it with nuts of choice, more spices of choice, pancetta cubes
    Put mix back in scooped out skins, generously cover with cheese then back in oven for 20 mins
    Serve with veg, carbs and red wine
    Easy

hooli

Pie and mash, chunky soup and crusty bread, roast dinners or bangers and mash. Washed down with Guiness of course.

Lifer
    Free Member

Malvern Rider – Member

I keep saying – it’s me mom’s own 1970’s Rover Strike Special Spuds:

Hot crispy-jacketed spuds – halved lengthways, emptied, contents mashed together well with salted butter and corned beef until you have dark pink potato.

Return the meaty mash to skins, top with lots of sliced or grated cheddar cheese, return to oven or medium grill until all is bubbly golden or you can’t wait any longer.

Die and go to comfort food heaven. Add sausage on side and be reincarnated and go again. Add frozen peas if still feeling guilty.

Corned beef hash! Although putting it back in the skin is inspired.

steve-g
    Free Member

Just to rewind a page, and the discussion of the ultimate Tomato soup accompaniment, I am sure I learned years ago from someone of this parish that the answer to that particular question was Pickled Onion Monster Munch “croutons”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Corned beef hash!

No. In so many ways, just no!

In the same way that pepperoni pizza is not a bacon and tomato sarnie, although both constructed from thin smoky pork, bread and tomatoes.

Lifer
    Free Member

Rubbish. Potato and corned beef mashed together = corned beef hash.

Bless though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tomorrow night’s menu for the Privileged Guests:

Canapes (Guacamole or Devilled eggs on whole wheat crackers). Prosecco.

Coq au vin. Fresh crusty baguette and butter. Selection of ciders and ales.

Stuffed peppers for the veggie.

Chocolate torte (made with rum and Amaretto biscuit) with cream.

Coffee (Waitrose Columbian).

All by my own fair hand… 😀

Sunday breakfast: Brooklyn Breakfast Bagels for the stopovers.

jambourgie
    Free Member

binners

Every day’s a school day. Pie in soup, waffle butties and rover strike special spuds are most definitely on the agenda. And some other inspired stuff! Monster munch croutons? Truly inspired!!!

Tonight here we’re keeping it simple, but comfort-food-tastic! Proper bratwurst, smothered in fried onions, on finger rolls, plenty of crap cheese singles and ketchup. Mmmmmmmmmmm 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Best winter comfort food for lazy, softy sods who are fed up with the bloody weather!!’ is closed to new replies.