Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best wind & waterproof softshell?
  • stevew
    Free Member

Hi All

Want to buy a warm, wind and waterproof softshell for this winter, will be 99% on road use and looking to spend a good bit of cash on it as I want it to be my go to outer layer all winter.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Houns

Gore Phantom

MadPierre

Something by Gore bike wear – dunno what the current model is?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

I had and sold a Phantom as prefer my Endura Stealth when its cold and damp. If it’s much over 5 deg though I use an Endura Windchill.

Clong
    Free Member

Gore Phantom +1

kcal

Gore Phantom — looks like (down to colour) my Endura Convert which is pretty good too. Zip off sleeves, soft lining, have yet to test it in extremes but it’s pretty good. I think it was about £70, I found an older model by shopping around.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-convert-softshell-jacket-2013/rp-prod61512?_$ja=tsid:46412%7Ccgn:Endura+-+Jackets+-+Cycle%7Ccn:Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE%7Ckw:228831UK_Endura+Convert+Softshell+Jacket+2013&gclid=CMHd3N3cwLkCFcaWtAodojgA1w

If it’s really wet out, you would be minded to get a waterproof gilet too possibly.

Other option (that doesn’t have zip off sleeves but is very Very comfortable on foul / autumn / winter days, is my Cycle Jersey Wind Cheeta – Ardbeg design (though that’s not very reflective / road friendly) —
    http://www.thecyclejersey.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=40

stevew
    Free Member

I thought the Phantom would crop up and I will definately check it out, good to see so many good recommendaitons, does anyone have the xenon? It seems more heavy duty but not as versatile as the phantom which with some good layering probably does the same job?

cinnamon_girl

Warm and waterproof don’t go together, imo. Waterproof will mean a shell.

My experience and what works for me is a Gore Windstopper which will repel rain for a good few hours. For full-on waterproofing then it has to be a Goretex shell.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For full-on waterproofing then it has to be a Goretex shell.

Can I be the first to recommend Paramo? I used my Velez smock for riding in winter. Warmer than a shell but not too warm and considerably more comfortable/breathable than ANY waterproof I’ve ever used before.

Cheezpleez

I have an original Phantom which I wear on most rides in spring, autumn, winter. Now need to replace it and wondering the same as the OP.

I want something that’s not too warm, that I can layer up and that will see off a bit of wet and then keep me warm when I’m wet through.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Castelli Gabba seems to be what the pro’s wear, even if they are sponsored by another brand.

johnellison
    Free Member

Can I be the first to recommend Paramo? I used my Velez smock for riding in winter. Warmer than a shell but not too warm and considerably more comfortable/breathable than ANY waterproof I’ve ever used before.

Amen to that brother, but I wouldn’t want to use it for riding on the road, too flappy for that.

mrmo
    Free Member

Depends on details of what you expect, Castelli Gabba, Mortirolo,

Sanny
    Free Member

How waterproof do you want? I have a couple of Gore soft shells and while they keep light rain off, they aren’t 100% waterproof and will leak (even the one I have with taped seams). If you don’t mind getting damp, no probs but don’t expect them to be as good as a hardshell. I still really like them although the cut of the Phantom is more for the tubby, middle aged biker market than some other soft shells in the range. 😆

dazh

I got a Howies Dyfi Active Shell last week. It doesn’t claim to be waterproof, and it’s not, but I wore it in the rain for about an hour and a half and was still pretty dry at the end. Combined with a decent base/mid layer I reckon it’ll do for even the worst winter weather. And for £30 it’s a bargain.

tmb467
    Free Member

what looks the best for your price range?

got a Go Outdoors softshell that is both breathable enough and water-repellant enough to ride through winter with a merino baselayer (and microfleece for really cold days)

half the price of a Gore but lacking the branding

cinnamon_girl

Check the Outlet section:

http://www.tgstore.eu

ruscle
    Free Member

Endura stealth.

iainc

I still really like them although the cut of the Phantom is more for the tubby, middle aged biker market than some other soft shells in the range

can’t imagine who you are thinking of Sanny 🙂

cultsdave
    Free Member

To me the whole point of a softshel is that it is not wind and water proof. That is what a hardshell is for. You want a softshell to be more breathable than a hard shell.
    Softshells are water resistant usually they have a DWR coating on the fabric that can be “topped-up” over time with washin solutions and tumble drying. Because they are not fully waterproof they are much more breathable resulting in you not getting that damp sweaty feeling inside. If you need it to be fully waterproof by a hardshell and if its cold wear somethig underneath it.

alexdodd
    Free Member

I’ve got the Endura Convert Softshell, which is basically the same as the Gore Phantom from what I can see, it literally does everything I want all year round provided I layer correctly. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best wind & waterproof softshell?’ is closed to new replies.