Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best white peak descent?
  • jekkyl

I’m planning a white peak ride next week and was wondering if there’s any descents I haven’t considered.

So, which track gets your vote for the best white peak descent?
    I’d like to nominate ‘Coombs Dale’ north of Bakewell, which is long and bumpy, great for getting air and speed but not that technical. And ‘Cartledge lane’ just south of holmesfield, long and swoopy and again not particularly technical.

Which one or ones would get your vote and why?

Edit: We’ll be going on a Thursday morning so cheeky options can be considered.

nbt

The stuff around Hollinsclough is good if you like technical, there are four very good descents (three of them lead to the same packhorse bridge so you need to loop round and double back). See the VGraphics book for further detals

AlexSimon

Is Cavedale considered White Peak (as it’s limestone)?
    If so, it gets my vote.

Intimidating, technical and very special.
    The lead up to the main bit is also pretty jumpy, fast and fun.

MrNice
    Free Member

I like the cheeky one in the woods above Beeley

jekkyl

I’ve got the VG book and I’ve done the hollinsclough decscents thanks nbt,
    wooeeee they are technical and then some. I’ve done loads of lakes routes and ‘the beast’ which I regard as probably the most technical in the peaks but those hollinsclough drops, jesus christ, there’s one in particular that’s just a huge boulder in the ground and you get off and take a look from the other side and then think ‘eff that’ and walk your bike down over it.

AlexSimon

There’s a bit of digging been done in the woods that drop into Bakewell Golf Club. Was good fun, but I’ve only done it once – there were lots of options.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

For rocky techy it’s Cavedale you either love it or loathe it, water flowing down it makes like a greased weasel

Great fun.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’d go with Cavedale as well. There’s other oddments that are fun, but for the most point they’re over too quick. The one down to the river Lathkill near Conksbury is a good example GR215653. Wormhill->Cherryslack is also nice.

jekkyl

do you mean this one jonedwards? re: conksbury, are you recommending it or saying it’s a good example of a short descent?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=422419&y=365705&z=120&sv=422419,365705&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=604&ax=422419&ay=365705&lm=0

I was thinking of adapting some of the 5 dales route so youlgreave area may work.

MrNice
    Free Member

I think he’s saying it’s fun but over too quick. he’s correct on both counts.

rascal
    Free Member

Surely Castleton is in the Dark Peak? Probably wrong though…I’ve always considered it so anyway.

AlexSimon

It’s on the border.
    Cavedale is White peak, Hollins is Dark peak.

It’s as simple as limestone vs gritstone afaict.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Aye – that’s the one, or more precisely the bit to the west of that dropping down through the quarry. The bit you’re pointing at is actually a horrible powersapping climb across a grassy field. It’s a fun descent, but it’s pretty short. Unlike most peak district riding, it does have some corners though!

Surely Castleton is in the Dark Peak?

Hope Valley is kind of the dividing line. Cavedale, Winnats, Pindale, Bradwell is all Limestone, so White Peak. Mam Tor, Rushup, Win Hill is shale, so Dark.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

What loop is the hollinsclough decent in, I’ve got that book at home somewhere?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Nevermind found it, May give it a go on sat

ironnigel
    Free Member

Tenterhill.

Broke my wrist there. Link in with Hollinsclough is possible / essential.

jekkyl

james the one with the great big boulder is this one from coatestown:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=406265&y=366427&z=115&sv=406265,366427&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=604&ax=406265&ay=366427&lm=0

best to start with the byway just before it, turn in at the bench here:
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=405536&y=365817&z=115&sv=405536,365817&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=604&ax=405536&ay=365817&lm=0

It’s a strange area, that whole bit and over towards bakewell, it has a strange atmosphere for me & not a good one, can’t quite explain it. It’s all just eerily quiet moorland. There’s a very odd looking hill as well which adds to the charm.
    Chrome Hill and if you go down that road from booth farm it goes right between them.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Cheers jekkyl, don’t suppose you have a gpx showing some other interesting stuff in a loop

jekkyl

There’s a gpx for a route here: http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/13-hollinsclough.html

This route looks spot on but if you’ve got the legs and you haven’t done it before you should do cumberland clough and then climb back up to the route on the road, it passes right by it before dropping to the 3 shires. It’s one of the best descents in the area and I’m sure anyone on here would agree it is absolutely outstanding. My email on profile if you need any clarification.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Cheers, that looks doable

james
    Free Member

“one in particular that’s just a huge boulder in the ground”
    This bit? or another?

tbf, I think last time I went down there, even with a bigger bike, it had eroded out more at the bottom to be more of a wheel trapper from memory

james
    Free Member

I quite like the drop from the west onto monsal viaduct:
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=418009&y=371710&z=120&sv=418009,371710&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=604&ax=418009&ay=371710&lm=0
    The upper section (land rover track) has been levelled in recent years which is a bummer), but the bridleway to the viaduct and the bridleway straight down over the railway is still a good combo

iain1775
    Free Member

I also like Cumberland Clough (fast rocky but not tech) and some of the other stuff around Three Shires Head and Macc Forest

Tenterhill was really cut up at the top section, axle deep in muddy trails bike ruts last time I was there, Hollinsclough is just a bit too tech to be enjoyable, its more of a survival mission for me

For me though the best is just outside the NP, my local cheeky stuff in the Blackrocks area

oldejeans
    Free Member

i agree

shut up Iain1775

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

The descent through Bakewell golf club is really good, fast but with plenty of features to keep you on your toes.

Cave Dale description above is spot on, I love it but it’s not for everyone!

The best loops are up around the Hope Valley though

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best white peak descent?’ is closed to new replies.