Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best wheels for dual use – Road & CX?
  • thwapy
    Free Member

I am looking to upgrade the disc wheels that came with my Charge Plug Ti to something lighter and better.

Having sold my road bike I want something that I can run ‘dual purpose’ both on the road and off so lightweight is top of my priorities, must be XD Driver compatible and QR. Any bargains out there?

Leaning towards Hunt 4 Season Disc at 1585g. £369

Also looking at Hope 20FIVE Pro but they are somewhat heavier at 1825g. £342

Stans Ironcross with Novatech hubs are a claimed 1410g. £430

Help me decide!

Daffy

The Hunts are quite nice wheels, but mine ate their bearings pretty quick.

maxlite
    Free Member

I have the Prolite Revo’s….which also ate rear bearings, in under a year (it seems it was because I was using Mucoff, but you don’t spray it into rear bearings!!)! Also run Wiggle brand, Cosine wheels for cross which were much cheaper and longer lasting, unfortunately they have stopped selling them 🙁

jimmy

I have kinesis cx disc (v1 or 2) and they’ve been great for 3.5 years now. Replaced a couple of spokes and Upgrade replaced a room for free after a pothole bent it, but hubs are fine with about 2.5 – 3k miles in.

whatgoesup

I bought a pair of Novatec CXDs for my CAADX and they are lovely – very light and quality seems good – come with a spoke tension report etc. With a pair of road 25 road tyres on they’ve transformed the bike- it feels really sprightly now.

I probably want something tougher though for hacking around off-road and at 95KG I can’t quite believe they’ll be durable for me so I’ll be selling them whilst they’ve still only got 20 road miles on them hence are as new and am back in the same boat as the UK.

I wish wiggle still made Cosine wheels- maybe the best bet it to order the parts individually and build a pair?

TiRed

Personally, I’d buy two pairs. Swapping tyres sounds OK but wears thins. Swapping tyres and casettes is far too much trouble.

I run ksyriuns for road and an old beat up pair for cross. 11-23 on the road and 12-32 for cross.

crazy-legs

Personally, I’d buy two pairs. Swapping tyres sounds OK but wears thins. Swapping tyres and casettes is far too much trouble.

OP didn’t specify changing tyres & cassette…
    However if you are planning on that then exactly what TiRed said – get two pairs, especially if you run tubeless since changing tyres regularly then becomes loads of hassle.

If you’re going to make do with one set for everything and run sort of “all-round” tyres then ProBikeKit are doing the excellent American Classic Hurricane at 30% off. 1600g the pair.
    linky

thwapy
    Free Member

I am currently running G-One’s – not massively slower than my old road tyres and happy to use the current cassette so not really thinking of swapping the tyres/cassette. I am running tubeless and intend to with the new wheels so swapping would be a lot of faff.

Saying that, maybe I keep the current wheelset and get some road specific disc wheels…. 😆

Do I need to start a new thread ‘which lightweight road wheelset…’

Ben_H

I run both Kinesis Racelight Disc and the Hope 20Five wheels.

Both are very nice; the Kinesis are c.300g lighter and feel more accelerative, while the Hope feel more sturdy and stiff. I run 28s on the Kinesis and 41s on the Hope, so it’s not really a fair comparison – but it underlines the earlier points about running two sets of wheels.

mugsys_m8

Just Riding Along’s wheelset using Pacenti SL23 rims. I have the non-disc ones and I think they are lighter than 1500g. I did Torino Nice on them last year, and just done a 1200km brevet with them.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Superstar have 20% off everything making their Stans Grail on switch evo hubs £320 all in.

Mine are 2 yrs old and still straight & true.

ransos
    Free Member

You want mine: Stans Grail, Novatec 771/772, Sapim CX-ray. 1600g, dead easy for tubeless, and tough as old boots. Cost me about £370 from Spokesman wheels.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Hope RS4? @ 1662gms if you’re concerned about the weight of the 20Five’s

Merlin currently 10%+ off Hope

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best wheels for dual use – Road & CX?’ is closed to new replies.