Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best wheel size for downhill?
  • huffnpuff
    Free Member

My son (14 years) is getting into downhill. Basically he is not into slog and he loves the thrill. Recent trip to black mountain bike centre and glentress sealed it for him.
    Currently on a hardtail and looking for entry level full sus DH.

We’ve seen literally hundreds of 26in bikes but a bit nervous as his bike is 29in. I ride 27.5.

Would appreciate your views, pro’s & cons

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He is 14 so will grow more I assume so anything you get will be moved on at some point. Dh bikes have been 26″ for years, 650b is now coming through. For someone just getting into it I’d be looking through the pink bike used section and picking something lightish and decent condition. In a couple of years if he is still into it then look at something new.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

<Default answer>Scott Voltage FR 26, cheap too </default answer>

huffnpuff
    Free Member

Yes, had a look on pink bike. Lots on there. Mainly 26in wheels. Thought he may find big difference to 26in so bit nervous. You’re right about growing, current bike already too small.
    Thanks

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Either way he’ll notice the same difference between 650b and 29 as 26 and 29. As theyre not that different

Mbnut
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be putting a 14 year old on a DH bike.

A 160mm or even a 180mm trail bike with 26” wheels would be the choice.

It takes far less effort to ride than a DH bike on anything short of a mean DH track, will be much more agile, 26ers will help with cornering and you will be able to pick up a new bike every couple of years cheap.

My lad has been on my 29er Bandit for a few months and we just switched him to a 26 Covert…. he is loving the Covert, so much better to corner for him.

legend
    Free Member

DH bike for the likes of Glentress? Terrible idea. Tried it once to see what folk got out of it, complete waste of time and effort.

huffnpuff
    Free Member

Thanks guys. All points taken. I’m re-assured about 26 in and looks like you’ve saved me some money as I’m sure I’ll pick up a decent bike for reasonable price.

First time I’ve used the blog…….brilliant!

thegman67

At Innerleithen a few month ago their was a famous World Cup racer their and we asked him if their is a big difference between 26 and 650B and if it is worth upgrading our downhill bikes,he told us that in his opinion the average downhiller will not notice the difference.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I best get upgrading then 😉

legend
    Free Member

huffnpuff – Member
    Thanks guys. All points taken. I’m re-assured about 26 in and looks like you’ve saved me some money as I’m sure I’ll pick up a decent bike for reasonable price.

Looks like you’ve taken on board what you like, and ignored what you don’t – you’ll fit right in

legend
    Free Member

Well that’s bizarre, was my posted modded?

There was a bit in there about a DH bike only being worthwhile if you’re taking him to DH tracks – otherwise it’ll be more of a hindrance than a help

pigeonthing
    Free Member

i think the pb advice is right theres plenty good 26 bikes to be had at good prices as long as you go and check them out. If yr purely going to take him to do DH then get a DH bike but theres no way he’s going to enjoy dragging one round a trail centre (like gt). It’ll be too pedally / hard work to keep momentum up on the shallower down hill bits.

Northwind

Agree about a dh bike probably being the wrong tool here… But if you do want a dh bike then 26 will definitely get you a better overall bike, for the money, and more choice. Whether 650b is better or not, it won’t be as big a difference as the price difference.

liamhutch89
    Free Member

If he actually wants to do proper DH then get the right bike.

In my experience, my half way there 180mm bike pedalled worse than my new full DH rig by a very noticeable amount. Granted my new bike is better spec’d.

Unfortunately a decision has to be made whether a 160mm bike that won’t do proper DH tracks very well will suffice, or a DH rig that won’t ride trails too well.

26 is fine too for DH. People don’t seem to be getting faster with new wheel sizes

digga
    Free Member

Mbnut – Member
    I wouldn’t be putting a 14 year old on a DH bike.

I’m not sure precisely what you meant by that but I know an 11 yr old lad with a DH bike who’s quicker than I am on mine. A lot of racers (especially current crop) started early.

As to the OP, FWIW I have two 29ers; hardtail and an AM trail bike, but my DH bike is 26″ and swapping between them is fine. Were I to buy brand new today, I’d likely go 27.5 but at my skill level I’m not swapping and for a smaller, younger lad, you can get real bargains with used 26″ DH bikes right now.

gg14
    Free Member

Nervous by potentially getting a 26 inch bike?

What the and indeed F*** is that all about, then.

huffnpuff
    Free Member

OK , rightly or wrongly and considering all info given we’ve decided to park the DH idea and look at a trail full sus. I’m reassured that 26in wheels should not be disregarded and this gives us lots of choice.
    I appreciate all your comments.
    Thanks

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best wheel size for downhill?’ is closed to new replies.