Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best way to wash pads / body armour??
  • finners

I need to wash / freshen up some pads and body armour. What’s the beat way to clean them? I thought in the bath with something like nikwax tech wash??

wwaswas

In the shower with shower gel for me.

honourablegeorge

Bung them in the machine, no spin

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Bung em in the machine and wash like any other garment.
    Never even thought about whether to spin or not. Can’t see what harm it could do.

wwaswas

Can’t see what harm it could do.

one of the clever bits of foam in a pair of POC pads I had snapped in the machine.

I felt the other one, due to the darts in it to allow movement there’s only about 2cm of material holding them together at some points.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

if it’s hard shell type stuff, just bung it in on coolish wash. If it’s d30/sastec/vpd etc, remove pads before washing the sleeve

unklehomered
    Free Member

Make funky soup in the bath…

steel4real
    Free Member

Bath and shower gel for large items like knee & shin guards or actual body armour/suit.

Used to put in the machine on a cold wash for years but after some leg armour (knee-shin) got caught up between the drum and whatever which mellted and cut the plastic in two, i’ve always soaked and rinsed in the bath.

Small items like knee pads, shorts still go in the machine.

Plenty of fabreeze on it all !

Northwind

Aye, plastic stuff can melt in a washing machine. For me- soft stuff, goes in washing machine. D30 stuff or hard stuff, either in the bath, or put it in a bucket and poke it with a stick. And if day-to-day stuff can’t be machine washed with normal powder etc it’s no use to me

patriotpro
    Free Member

Same as waterproofs so quick wash, low temp, no detergent.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

661 Kyle Strait kneepads go in the net bag they came in to contain the velcro straps, then into the machine with the rest of my kit.
    Lovely and clean 🙂

How do you clean helmet straps though? Mine ming…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Helmet straps, just use hand soap and warm water.

Armour always gos in the machine with the rest of my kit, not had a problem yet. If it’s really stinky (i.e. after a holliday) pre wash with a big glug of detol otherwise it stinks as soon as it get’s warm/moist again.

nickdavies

I use laundry gel and give it all a bit of a lather up (fnarr fnarr) in the bathtub and rinse it off. Find laundry gel does a decent job without actually having to mess with the tablets, powder etc and i’ve always got it in the camping box for holiday washing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Washing machine. Wash separately as the velcro isn’t great on your other clothes

phatstanley
    Free Member

wash them?

i never washed my ice hockey pads either (nobody did/does??) and the smell of my bike/sk8 pads takes me back to a rose-tinted version of my childhood growing up on the outdoor ice rinks in the deepest, darkest wilds of toronto, canada…

finners

Cheers guys. Will opt for the bath option first. If they are still questionable after that then may use machine…..

Northwind

Ice hockey pads- tell me about all the mud you skated through 😉

phatstanley
    Free Member

tell me about all the mud you skated through

fair enuff. nae mud to speak of…but the sweat you’d pump out more than made up for that.
    i just let my bike pads dry/crust up and then brush ’em with a very stiff brush-y thing.

guess that makes me kinda crusty…. 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

On our recent trip to Andorra, my body armour went in the bath with some soap powder and I turned the jacuzzi on!

Water was minging after 10 minutes!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best way to wash pads / body armour??’ is closed to new replies.