Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best way to treat/condition old leather
  • PJ266
    Free Member

I have an old leather satchel which I would like to bring back to life (and re-use as a pannier) anyhow, do any of you lot know the best way to condition and soften the leather up? It’s not in bad nick, I.e. Not flaking everywhere, but I would like to get it as good as possible!

Any wonder products/methods would be greatly appreciated.

CountZero

I don’t think there are any ‘wonder’ products, but there are lots of things that you can use to treat the leather that will gradually soften over time as it penetrates. The stuff I use is called Renapur leather balsam; it’s made using beeswax, jojoba oil and other natural ingredients. I’ve been using it for ages on leather jackets, boots, belts, wax jackets, etc.
    It comes in little pots and you apply it with a sponge.
    http://www.renapur.com/content/leather-balsam/#.Us3Min8gGK0
    It’s as good as anything else I’ve used over the years, and a pot lasts for ages.

PJ266
    Free Member

Ah nice one, looks well reviewed. Might have to order a pot, many thanks.

JoeG
    Free Member

Neatsfoot oil?

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got the Renapur, works very well and smells lovely. Use it on shoes and other leather items that are going to get wet and get a lot of use.

Also have some Gliptone that I use on the car seats and leather sofa. Comes as 2 parts, a cleaner which is very good and a treatment which really restores the leather smell and doesnt make it go shiny like the Renapur can.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sno-seal.

Hairdryer ther satchet until warm to touch. Rub snow seal in until it melts away pay attention to stitching in particular.

Conditioned and water proofed. Job done

globalti
    Free Member

Any product that contains dissolved waxes and oils will soften and waterproof leather. I use car Waxoyle on my walking boots; as far as I can tell it’s exactly the same stuff as Nikwax but a lot cheaper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best way to treat/condition old leather’ is closed to new replies.