Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best way to tie out 2 dogs whilst camping?
  • Houns

Last week was the first time we took both dogs camping. I tied them out using those metal corkscrew things (which Oscar our 9 month old chocolate lab managed to bend) and a long line (metal cable coated in plastic)

This set up caused numerous tangles, nearly caused me to lose all fingers on both hands when Oscar bolted after a bird whilst I was untangling them and could’ve also caused Poppy our other dog to be sliced in half.

Needless to say I won’t ever be using them again, nor will I use any type of chain.

So what methods do you use to tie your dogs out? Poppy is 13 years old and will happily lie there/bumble about, however Oscar will suddenly bolt after something so want to make sure it’s strong to hold him but also not cause any danger to him, Poppy or us!

I’m thinking of a length of soft thick rope? Any ideas?

iolo
    Free Member

Get a separate corkscrew thing for each dog. Set them far enough apart so they don’t tangle yet close enough they can still lay together.

Houns

That’s (almost) what I did, sadly the camping area (stayed in a yurt within a roped off area for us) meant dog overlap

iolo
    Free Member

Have the 13 year old sleep in the tent?

Houns

They sleep in with us anyway. Just need to tie them out whilst we sit around etc save holding on to leads

postierich
    Free Member

I blame the parents!

bones
    Free Member

That’s (almost) what I did, sadly the camping area (stayed in a yurt within a roped off area for us) meant dog overlap

Tie to the rope posts?
    A climbing sling and carabiner could be handy for rocky/wooded areas.

PePPeR

I have this issue. old dog gets tied whereever he wants to be, usually with a horse lead rope, nice and long and springy. His little bouncy daughter on the other hand is put on the aforementioned corkscrew and I use rope rather than wire and shorten it down to the required length/cuddle upto Dad, but not to long to tangle distance!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’ve that little control over them, leave them with a dog sitter.

andyl
    Free Member

Separate pegs and shorter leads?

Leave the boot of the car open if you have an estate and tie them to the rear hook so they can hop in and out.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Over time you get various options for different situations… just keep trying.

I either:
    – tie them apart so that they cant tangle each other
    – Use two corkscrews to stake out a taut line between the two. Thread the lead handles onto the taut line to give them a long narrow run. You can use a knot or tie a stick half way along the main line to keep the two separate.
    – If I have room, and especially in winter, take crates (if the tent is big enough). They can be under cover that way.

Not sure if that helps..

EDIT – I always use plastic covered wire / chain not rope. The wee buggers chew through rope the second my back is turned (getting better now they’re getting older)

porlus
    Free Member

Not how Clark Grizwald did it.

Houns

Flowerpower that long single line and leads is a good idea, thanks

samunkim
    Free Member

I have a German Sheppard and always put a couple of old 2.5″ cycle-inner tubes, along the quite short line somewhere, for when a cat walks by.
    She actually gets embarrassed when she forgets and twangs backs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best way to tie out 2 dogs whilst camping?’ is closed to new replies.