Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best Way to Strip a Cast Iron Fireplace?
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

I have a cast Iron fireplace liberally coated in pink gloss paint. I have some Nitromors so could strip it that way but…

Is there a better way?

Stuuey

Not done it with a painted one just a rusty one. Wire brush by hand worked for us. When I tried a drill with a wire brush I polished it which looks crap when you black lead it. Luckily I only did a small spot with the drill.

bruneep

Done it with Nitromors before set aside a day for it depending on how much paint is on it and finish off with Iron Paste

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bead blaster?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

bruneep – Do you mean just coat it nitromors and leave it for a day before tackling it?

Cynic-al- I don’t know what a bead blaster is. Is it like sandblasting?

bruneep

bruneep – Do you mean just coat it nitromors and leave it for a day before tackling it?

ha ha ha…………If only, paste it on wait till it removes a few layers scrape of paint, paste more on and remove, paste more on and repeat and repeat etc..

Oh! and do it a well vented room or get it out side if possible. As you may well end up tripping part through the day 😳

Andyhilton
    Free Member

That’s what I thought you meant 😥

Bimbler
    Free Member

bitd we had cast iron fireplaces and tried to nitromors the paint off but application after application scrape after scrape wouldn’t get off all the paint that had been painted onto the fireplace over the years. Gave up in the end and painted over the few layers of paint that had been removed.

wwaswas

eaiest way is to take it off the wall and take it to a bead blasters if it’s got any intricate mouldings on it.

depends what other work you’re doing – it can be ‘relatively’ painless getting a fireplace out (then again it might not).

as above, nitromors and paitence. do a small bit first – if you end up half stripping it it’ll look rubbish if you then repaint it.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Have done several 🙂 Last one had several hundred years worth of paint and stripping it revealed some amazing detail so it’s worth it.

If it’s removed / removable then get it blasted.

If not and you do have to resort to paint stripper then forget nitromors -nasty horrid stuff!

You want Peelaway

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. The fireplace is off the wall so getting it blasted/dipped seems to be a good option.

I’ll have a ring round. Alternatively,can anyone recommend anywhere in Manchester.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best Way to Strip a Cast Iron Fireplace?’ is closed to new replies.