Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best way to share a spreadsheet online?
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I need to share a fairly complex spreadsheet with some of our contractors, we’re not anxious to give them any sort of remote/network access for security reasons.

What’s the best way to share a spreadsheet online? It will need to be accessed and ammended by a number of people, and it’s integrity will need to be maintained, in that if someone has it open to modify it, then it can only be opened read only etc.

I’m sure there must be some easy solution, and google does bring up a few options, just not sure which route to go.

Cheers.

wwaswas

dropbox?

or google docs if it’ll cope with the complexity of the thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what sort of company do you work for and what is the security required on the info.

Google Docs gives you some stuff to work with and some enterprise level stuff, the new office365 also has collaboration in it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The spreadhseet has some personal information on regarding worker competency, so I need to make sure it’s secure.

footflaps

It won’t help with the sharing bit, but I use LockXLS to selectively protect bits of Worksheets from being accessed by others. It turns your Excel worksheet into a .exe which loads Excel and then over-rides all the Worksheet access options (all configurable) so you can let people use the worksheet but, say, not edit formulas or see Macros. Really useful tool. http://www.lockxls.com/product.asp

simon_g

Sharepoint in an Office 365 tenant. You only need licences for people who’ll be editing it – viewers can have an “external” account which is free.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for SharePoint, you can have tracking/audit options on it as well then which you probably want/need if any info in it is sensitive (although still not sure how this is viewed under the DPA).

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

cheers folks..I’ll look into these options.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best way to share a spreadsheet online?’ is closed to new replies.