Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best way to send funds from Aus to UK
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Hi, family are over for a holiday next month so looking to move funds and also are giving me some money. Any ideas on the best way? I have an HSBC account, is it possible to use an Oz based HSBC account to transfer into this? Use a 3rd party to transfer? Or simply bring cash and exchange here? Total value less than £10k so probably no customs issues etc.

IHN

They don’t need a HSBC account in Oz, they just need to go into their bank and arrange an international transfer. They’ll need your bank details, including the BIC (which your bank should be able to give you)

The bank will probably charge them £20-£30ish.

Or Paypal gift to you (dunno if there’s a limit on PP gift though), you draw it out to your bank account.

EDIT – or they put their holiday spends on a credit card and pay it off when they get home, using an ATM for any cash needs, like I’d do if I was going to Oz.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

https://transferwise.com/ will probably save them a few quid, not just on the banks’ charges but on the exchange rate too.

cranberry
    Free Member

When I looked at moving a couple of grand from the UK to Holland the costs of Paypal gift were only slightly less than the utter robbery suggested by Natwest.

XE.com: £2000 = €2700
    Natwest £2000 = €2200

Still looking for a good/fair solution.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My sister did PayPal gift into my bank when they came over last year. She seemed to think that was the best option for her, don’t know how much research they did tho

RichPenny
    Free Member

They don’t need a HSBC account in Oz, they just need to go into their bank and arrange an international transfer. They’ll need your bank details, including the BIC (which your bank should be able to give you)

The bank will probably charge them £20-£30ish.

Yep, HSBC is free between accounts, plus the rates don’t seem too bad. Those prepaid cards look good but not for the cash they’re leaving with me, IYKwIm.

binners

My uncle Abayomrunkoje in Lagos may be able to help. Simply send me your bank details and he’ll take care of the rest

RichPenny
    Free Member

YHM 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

2nd for TransferWise. Used the service extensively over the last few years without issue, and saved plenty.

Mackem

3rd for Transferwise

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers all, Transferwise looks pretty competitive.

batfink
    Free Member

^ I use it all the time (UK/Aus)…. defo the way to go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For small amounts bank to bank is easy, my folks sent me some cash for my birthday and it was here in 2 days. Rate wasn’t the best but on small amounts it’s not that bad.
    After that the proper transfer people make sense for larger sums but make sure you know any tax implications as that is a resonable number in Aus Tax terms.

Selled
    Free Member

When I sold my house in the uk I used these guys:

UK Forex

Banks are very expensive.

PePPeR

Another vote for transferwise, we used to use PayPal but we’re getting at least 10%-15% better exchange rate compared to PayPal,

It’s offset most of the cost of devaluation of the pound since the Brexit vote last year.

Using the bank to transfer the money is a total rip off even compared to PayPal.

Oh and we only send between 500-1000 a month abroad, so having a larger amount would be much better for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best way to send funds from Aus to UK’ is closed to new replies.