Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best way to sell tyres?
  • deviant
    Free Member

Genuine question here, not trying to plug my stuff or get a stealthy sale ad on the main page….just wondered how people have done this?

I’ve got loads of 26 and some 27.5 stuff that I never use, is eBay best?…how much have people charged for postage?…I don’t want to flog a tyre for a tenner only to find out Royal Mail want a fiver for postage!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Try to sell on here first, if that doesn’t work ebay with a fixed buy it now price and best offer.

You can do a seatch for Sold similar items to check out what you should be selling it for.

I post things generally 2nd class signed for (for proof of postage) and that costs 3.90 for one tyre, 6.00 for two.

nickjb
    Free Member

Slightly used tyres will be tricky as everyone has different definition of how much life is left in them. Have you got a local bike jumble? I occasionally pick up part worns from the local one here in Bristol. I can check the condition and seller has no issue with postage. New ones I’d stick on ebay. An XC trye should fold into a small parcel for £2.80, if it is a bulky one or a couple of tyres then it will be around £5 to post

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

I honestly wouldn’t bother… it’s not worth the hassle.

tomd
    Free Member

Local facebook for sale page or local club page? I’ve bought a few tyres that way.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

£2.89 via MyHermes just select 0-1kg for any parcel, I’ve done it with stuff weighing loads more, and while it says “you may be charged any excess” I’ve yet to be

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I tend to give my part worns away to friends when I see them struggling with what they have.
    Mate of mine did a tour around the Isle of Wight and blew a tyre. Bought the most expensive tyre he could find on the island for £7.
    Needless to say it failed at the far end of the woods when out an evenings quick spin out. He got my old Mountain King II’s.

matt_outandabout

Where are you and what tyres do you have? 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

Sell them cheap, pics of a close up of the tread and a rating out of 10.

I use hermes local drop off and it costs 2.80 a tyre. I wouldn’t trust their collection service, but the drop off has been reliable.

Post on here, facebook, local forums etc

Write a huge list with descriptions, prices including p+p and marks out of ten. Then send pictures if someone is interested.

I sold about 15 26″ tyres like this earlier this year and lost money, but did not give them away for free or pennies.

kerley
    Free Member

I just give mine away to a local charity that does bike rides for kids so always after bike parts.

Not something that is worth selling due to weight (postage) versus value (second hand tyres don’t seem to be in demand).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried to give mine away for free. Eventually got rid of about half for charity donations. Not worth the effort just bin them.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Royal Mail 2nd class small parcel costs £2.80. I’ve sold various bike bits on eBay without any bother, though not tyres. I usually charge about £3 for postage there, to cover other costs (packaging materials, paper, etc).

I wouldn’t bother selling something for less than a tenner (not including postage) since it wouldn’t really be worth my time. Look at recently ended auctions for similar items to see what sort of price you can expect to get. They (eBay) recommended you start your auctions at a low price to attract more bids but I always set it to the least amount of money I’d be happy to let an item go for. Maybe it puts off a few folk from bidding but it means you’re not going to the expense of selling something for just small change.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best way to sell tyres?’ is closed to new replies.