Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best way to sell a car?
  • dannybgoode

Apologies – complete brain failure and panic have clouded my thinking on this one.

We have just got probate through on my mum’s estate (only took 9 months but that’s another story!) so we can finally sell her car.

Trouble is a) the battery is dead b) the MOT has run out and c) it’ll need taxing and insuring if I were to try and keep hold of it for a little while whilst we find a private buyer etc.

So I am trying to think of how to sell it to trade so they can deal with it all. I don’t mind taking a substantial hit on value – I just need it off her drive as we’re hoping to complete on the sale of the property on Friday.

Any ideas how I can best go about this?

weeksy

Gumtree.

legend
    Free Member

Get a new battery in it to start with, at least that way any buyer can see it runs. Then I’d probably just stick it on ebay/gumtree/facebook saying its a runner but no tax/MOT, price to suit and see what happens.

The only minor sticking point I can think of is that the V5 is still in her name? Not sure if you’d have to submit something to the DVLA to sort that out

nickjb
    Free Member

Just stick it on ebay. It’ll sell as is although I would put a battery in it (or can the existing one just be charged?)

dannybgoode

Thanks all. I have the V5, grant of probate etc so that side of it should not be an issue.

I’ll take some jump leads up and see if I can at least get it started and try the ebay route.

Just need it gone quick is the only thing.

Anyone and a cheap low mileage 10 plate Citroën C4?!

legend
    Free Member

Citroen you say? So the battery’s actually fine and it’s just had a total electrical failure? 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

99p start listings on eBay are good, but be prepared to be messed around a bit. People will bid without viewing, then cancel their purchase or turn up and haggle the price they won it for etc.

I got fed up with it the 2nd time and sent an email along the lines of “I’ve had a couple of people get in touch after the auction offering more money – do you still want the car?”

I wouldn’t ebay it if it can’t be driven though. Not many people have access to means to transport a car.

dooosuk
    Free Member

No idea how much you’re planning on letting it go for, but if it’s less than a grand a cheeky post in here with an honest description and rational:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1291750&i=8320

Might well get you a buyer.

core

Lies and deception.

Stuck mine on a local facebook car sales page, only 1 enquiry (was pushing my luck with price), 1 was enough.

dannybgoode

Thanks all. Brain cleared a bit and for the sake of £20 to insure the damned thing and the cost of an mot weripoffanypotentialcarseller.com are quoting £2k to take it off my hands.

Even once they’ve haggled down on their ‘cast iron’ quote I’ll still get what I want.

Thanks all

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best way to sell a car?’ is closed to new replies.