Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best way to sell a bike asap?
  • lawman91

Due to a need for some cash pretty quick, I need to sell one of my MTBs, and it’s looking likely my Ibis Mojo HDis facing the axe. I do need the cash and given its age and “retro” 26er wheels I think it’s time to move it on before its value plumets even further. My dilemma is how would be best to sell it? Do I sell it complete at a decent price below the value of the sum of its parts to move it as a whole and hope it goes quick, or would it be best to split it down and sell frame/components separately? Think I’d get more cash splitting it but it’s more hassle and potentially could take longer? What do you folks think?

sc-xc

Ask Renton to market it for you….

robhughes
    Free Member

^.Hahahah

iolo
    Free Member

What size is it? If its an XS or XL it will be much harder to sell whole.

lawman91

It’s a medium 2011 HD140, brand new Reverb and Fox Factory 34, six month old XTR 1×10 groupset and brakes.

Xylene
    Free Member

Cash convertors

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Strip it.

I stripped and sold my Norco ht off in just over a week on here and another forum. Ended up with nearly £200 more than I was prepared to sell it complete.

Was a barsteward posting bits but a surprising amount went to people locally.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Either sell it cheap or strip it.

wiggles
    Free Member

Ebay, factor in the fees but seem to sell for more on their than here/PB and have a set time limit for people to buy as well so speeds things up.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Ill paypal you £50 now.

Edit: low ebay buy it now should go fast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

List it complete for a good price, listen to offers for a week then split and eBay.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Oooh I’m in the market for a swanky 26er pics and price

firestarter
    Free Member

When i sold my turner i listed it a couple of times dropping the price each time. I then split and sold within the week for a few hundred more than my initial price and i had a few spares left

lawman91

Thanks for the replies all, sound advice! Think I’ll give it a week or so as complete and if it doesn’t go I’ll probably split it.

Paulo6624, I’ll drop you an email with details, price and pics 🙂

jam-bo

a ‘whats it worth’ thread in the main forum is a good way to garner interest.

oh wait…

lawman91

a ‘whats it worth’ thread in the main forum is a good way to garner interest.

oh wait…

It isn’t a what’s it worth thread, I’m just asking how would be best to sell it. I’ve a pretty good idea of how much it’s worth, just contemplating what the best way is to move it on to a new home 🙂

roverpig

Here’s my “strategy” for what it’s worth:

Break it into small enough bits that you can afford to take a hit on any one bit.

Stick them all on ebay with a £1 start and no reserve price

Time the auction to end on a Sunday afternoon (preferably in April 🙂 )

Some bits will go for less than you expect and some for more, but overall you should do OK.

weeksy

a pretty good idea of how much it’s worth

As is seen a LOT,.. you have a pretty good idea of what you think it’s worth… which is rarely the same as what other people think it’s worth.

bombjack
    Free Member

Depends if you want to sell the bike quickly, or for what you think its worth.
    There’s a mountain of difference between the two, sell it cheap enough and someone will get a bargain, and you’ll have fast cash.
    Price it for what you want and it’ll probably still be here next week…
    Even if you break it you need to allow time for the major bits to shift (if they will.)and then there’s the hassle of posting bits out.
    Not wanting to sound negative but way too many people on here bitch about how hard it is to sell a complete bike, 9 times out of ten its because its priced too high, and the market for their pride & joy just isn’t there.
    BJ

lawman91

I’ve had a look around at similar bikes of a similar age reckon the figure I have in mind is ball park for what I can realistically get for it. I know the 26″ market is dying and prices are plummeting, so I think the figure I have in mind is pretty reasonable for a top spec bike in great condition 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’ve a pretty good idea of how much it’s worth

tbh You’ll find few folk want to spend decent money on a 26″, no matter what you paid for it – especially when you can buy 650B’s brand new for just over £2k.

bombjack
    Free Member

I have in mind is ball park for what I can realistically get for it

And that’s the kicker – How long are you prepared to wait to get that figure?
    If its a quick sell you’re after then its got to be sold cheaper than the alternatives, and that involves lowering expectations…

tonyd

eBay, 99p start, no reserve, three day auction. Gone.

andermt
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    What size is it? If its an XS or XL it will be much harder to sell whole.

Interestingly when I was selling my lads old XS and then S bikes they went above what I expected as their aren’t many around apparently.
    The XS in particular had a few people after it.
    The XS sold locally in the end (Midlands) but had people prepared to drive from Norfolk to pick it up.
    The Small went to London, the winning bidder was asking how soon he could collect as soon as the auction finished.

Can’t comment on XL bikes as I seem to be collecting them not selling them. 😀

lawman91

And that’s the kicker – How long are you prepared to wait to get that figure?
    If its a quick sell you’re after then its got to be sold cheaper than the alternatives, and that involves lowering expectations…

Ideally I’d like it gone by mid-february. I hear everyone’s call on how my price may be over-inflated, I’ve seen the other threads of a similar kind but I think the price I’m after is not only reasonable but a bloody good deal given the spec and condition. If the 26″ thing puts folks off the Mojo is one of the most popular 650b conversion bikes out there, so if someone needed 650b wheels it could take them 🙂

simon_g

Ebay. 99p start, run for a week, ideally end on a Sunday. Spam the link on the usual places. You’ll find out exactly what it’s worth.

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll find few folk want to spend decent money on a 26″, no matter what you paid for it

As he’s said though, at no point has he said “I think it’s worth x because it cost me a lot”, so no reason to think his price is unrealistic!

The thing is that the 26″-ness of it solely impacts the frame, forks and wheels. You have a lot of desireable kit (Reverb, XTR) that have a far wider audience. Split it, list everything on eBay tomorrow evening for a 5 day auction. 99p starting price, except on anything you really don’t want to risk going for an absolute song – like the frame! Sunday evening is the best time to end auctions (more so than afternoon).

weeksy

If the 26″ thing puts folks off the Mojo is one of the most popular 650b conversion bikes out there, so if someone needed 650b wheels it could take them

don’t know if this is a daft Qn… but would it make sense to pick up a cheap set of 650b’s instead and sell it as a more marketable 650b version done already ?

ste_t
    Free Member

But then 650b forks aswell as wheels.

bombjack
    Free Member

Ideally I’d like it gone by mid-February

Pop it on eBay for a BIN or best offer for that figure. There is no rush to sell (i.e. you don’t need a fire sale to shift it before Wednesday),
    Post on PinkBike and here with the occasional bump, if it gets to squeaky bum time nearer the date, lower the price accordingly until it sells.
    A decent ad with good pics, lots of detail and quick responses goes along way, just don’t be annoyed by the stupidly low offers you’ll get. As with anything, price it right and it’ll sell. You just have to make people think its worth it.

lawman91

Thanks for the feedback all, will give it a go as a complete bike and if I have no joy I’ll look at splitting it 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best way to sell a bike asap?’ is closed to new replies.