Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Best way to remove stubborn shock mounts?
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

I think I'll probably have to invest in a vice but what do you use?

I've got molegrips and easyouts but both do more damage than I'd like to….

AndyPaice
    Free Member

what do you mean by shockmounts, the bolts holding the shock to the frame?

what frame is it, or what kind of mounting hardware? could try plus gas / wd 40 or very careful application of heat to bolts/nuts.

Oh, and inlet manifold or cams? 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Yeah the mounting hardware, what some people seem to refer to as bushes.

The VR is now sadly gone, ended up spending silly money just keeping the thing on the road, did have 282/286 split duration schrick race cams, schrick inlet which was eventually ditched for a cut n shut 2.9l manifold as it was holding the power back, big valve head, bored tb with quattro butterfly, mahle pistons 3.1l, baflled alu sump, knife edged crank, peloquin diff, VW motorsport shifter etc etc. Damn I miss that car, especially the sound approaching 8000rpm. 😈

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Swerve OT but a brief onboard video for you, at no point did the cars speed exceed 70mph I'll have you know.

[video src="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l319/schrickvr6/?action=view&current=DSCF0065.flv" /]

What are you driving?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Sounds very nice 🙂 I ran several modded mk2 / mk3 16v golf gtis for a few years, never got a VR due to running costs, but always fancied one.

to remove the bushes try getting a soft jaw vice. usually have wooden or hard plastic jaws rather than serrated metal. That way you can clamp the bushes in the vice and work them out of the shock eyelets. If the bushes are worn/for the bin then clamp mole grips on them and work them out as your not worried about damaging them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Best way to remove stubborn shock mounts?’ is closed to new replies.