Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • best way to remove a top bearing from hope headset
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

hi, ive got a new bearing for my hope headset as it was knackerd, it was a ballach to get out! took me about half an hour and i only removed the inner race and the balls went flying lol, outer race was stuck in and finally got that out but for future ref is there a better way of doing this? any tool i can use for it? ive put my new bearing in now but just looking at it i cant see it coming out for a regrease :/ theres no way of pushing it out as its sat in the cup… help!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Long and wide blade screwdriver from underneath and hammer / mallet. Work your way around with care not to scratch the headset cup itself. Maybe a bit of levering the bottom of the bearing race with screwdriver from the top, again working carefully around.

Standard way to do it.

Expensive way is dedicated bearing puller tools, one for each bearing size.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

well i have scratched the top cup but im hoping it wont affect it, ive just put loads of grease in, i tried the flat head screw driver thing but when i push down lifting one end up the other side gets pushed in again by the driver lol

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    milky1980
    Free Member

That’s why you tap it gently from underneath working round it as soon as you can get at it. Walks it out.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ahh its worked! i didnt use a hammer before just the driver and it just kept leaning on it and pushing it back in, hammer worked though cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘best way to remove a top bearing from hope headset’ is closed to new replies.