Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best way to remove a star nut?
  • pguy78
    Free Member

As the title really. Forks have a star nut fitted, new headset is a hope with head doctor. How can I easily remove the star nut with out wrecking my forks.

scotroutes

Hammer it through from the top (in fact you only need to hammer it down far enough for the HD to fit)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Leave it in.Head doctors are a pita anyhoo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I would usually just bash it down a bit below where the head doctor needs to go. Or just continue to use the star nut actually as I prefer them to head doctors or similar devices.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Too slow but both my suggestions were covered. A fail, but a commendable effort 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you are going to whack it all the way through ensure that you steerer isn’t internally re-enforced towards the bottom like my Marzocchis.

One technique is to drill out the center portion so that the two disks are no longer attached together – they come out with pliers pretty easily then.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Don’t do it. Star nuts are much better than a head doctor.

davewalsh
    Free Member

^^ What he said ^^

smatkins1
    Free Member

Tapered forks weren’t invented to improve stiffness or make anyone money… it was all about making it easier to knock a star nut out the bottom.

Northwind

Yep, use it, best tool for the job. Expandy bullshit is only for when you can’t use anything else.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best way to remove a star nut?’ is closed to new replies.