Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best way to pay for tube in london…?
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Taking the kids to ‘see the queen’ on thursday and havent been to london in years (apart from the occasional business trip). Just wondering whats the best way to pay for tube travel these days. Ive read a little bit about the oyster card but don’t fully understand it. Am I just as well getting a day travelcard or is oyster the way ahead? If I have any credit on an oyster card when we come home can that be transferred back to my account or is it lost?
    Life is so much easier oop north……

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Travelcard is best for your needs. Kids are free

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sadly you don’t get to transfer any credit from an Oyster card back in to the whippet and flat cap economy. 🙂

If it’s just a day, I’d suggest a travel card. That way, you have a known cost for all the travel you’ll do. Tip – take the 11 bus. Free tourist trip from Chelsea to the City, past almost all the sights.

BFITH
    Free Member

I thought kids had to pay (allbeit cheaper) for travelcards?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Soz kids upto 5 free. Thought it was 16 but you need photocards etc)

kimbers

Borris axed free bus travel for kids

BFITH
    Free Member

Just found this on TFLs website after a more in-depth search:

“Travelling with children
    Up to 10-years-old
    Children aged 10 years or under can travel free on buses and trams whether or not they are accompanied by an adult. They can also travel free on Tube, DLR and London Overground services at any time as long as they are accompanied by an adult using a Visitor Oyster card or a valid ticket *.”

So, looks like they are free if me and t’wife buy a travelcard…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best way to pay for tube in london…?’ is closed to new replies.