Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best way to Old Trafford from Central Manchester?
  • rockhopper70

I’m off to the olympic footie next week and thinking of driving to manchester and parking in Printworks NCP?
    Where then from here to Old Trafford.
    Best stops/quietest stops/shortest walk please with a 6yo in tow!
    Ta

Cougar

Metro? There’s a stop right behind Printworks and one next to the cricket ground. Dunno how busy it’ll be though, probably mobbed.

I think if it were me I’d drive in and park on the street in the residential areas off Talbot Rd.

(I know nothing about sports events, but I used to work in the office block next door to LCC)

grum
    Free Member

NCP car parks in central Manchester? Prepare your wallet for the serious assault it’s about to bear IME.

Is there a reason you don’t fancy just driving to near the stadium and using one of the local (dodgy looking but fine) unoffical car parks? I’ve used them a few times for rugby finals at Old Trafford and never had a problem and they’re much cheaper. Traffic’s not even been that bad.

edhornby

Drive straight to the Lowry shopping centre, get something to eat there to validate the free parking, then walk with the crowds the 1/2 mile to OT

jobs a goodun

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Old trafford Train Station behind the stadium, check if it’s open for the match

highclimber
    Free Member

Do NOT park in the NCP. if you do, take plenty of lube for the bumming you’ll recieve when you go to pay! best Idea would be to park in the Boddingtons carpark (£3) and get the tram from Victoria which is just across the road.

mrchrispy

Mental plan that, I used to work in the building across the road (behind the crap pub), the tram will be mobbed.
    The lowery plan sounds like a winner, either that or park on my drive and walk the 1.5 miles to the ground (joke btw…I don’t want to encourage that kinda behaviour)

Cougar

Oh, if you do end up parking at the Printworks, swing by the cinema and use the machine to get your ticket discounted.

+1 for the Boddies park being the better option there though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tram is ok for the journey out of the city but rammed on the way back.? Last time I did it we had to walk two stops away from Trafford to actually get on the tram as all the ones passing the stop near the ground just carried on through because they were full!!

rockhopper70

Thanks for the tips. As you might guess, I don’t really know Manchester. The Lowry plan sounds good providing the car park stays open late enough. I think this match finishes around 10pm.
    On the subject of being ripped off, I am preparing for that as I can’t bring drinks or food in to the ground so will have to go to the official Olympic sponsor restaurants in the ground if I need anything.
    Oh, and I thought against parking near as the blurb with the tickets says there is no parking near any venue but I guess that is the London sites only.

prettygreenparrot

Lowry car park is a good option. You can park at the Trafford centre off the M60. Quite a few folks seem to do that on a saturday. This guide might help. The metro will be very busy.

IHN

I’d drive to somewhere near Old Trafford and park on the street on or around Kings Road (you’ll see everyone else doing the same):

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=&redir_esc=&q=kings+road,+stretford&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487bade3e03cfe99:0x7d7f3cabf0bc46ef,Kings+Rd,+Stretford&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=VrcHUMbDMY6TswbAqPDJAw&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

or in one of the many unnofficial ‘Fiver to park in our office car park’ car parks.

It seems to work on Man U match days, and I assume that the Olympics matches aren’t selling out so it should in theory be easier to find a space.

dooosuk
    Free Member

There’s an Aldi with street parking near Old Trafford or as others say just on the streets off Talbot Road.

Other side you can park at the Lowry or on the Ordsall Lane and walk within 10mins. There’s also Exchange Quay tram stop that side of OT too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As above – is the train from Picadilly stopping there for the matches? Should make it much easier

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

You could go in style, and try the canal barge trip from the Mark Addy pub. Goes straight to OT.
    Not sure if it will be running, but always does when ManYoo are playing.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best way to Old Trafford from Central Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.