Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best way to look for large group self-catering accommodation.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a significant birthday coming up this year and I’m celebrating it by asking our closest friends to come away for a weekend and stay in a big ol’ house in the countryside somewhere (preferably Wales). There will probably be around 12-14 adults plus their kids and probably a few pets thrown in for good measure. Mrs deadly and I will be footing the accommodation bill and asking guests to bring food, booze, entertainment (Wii, board games etc)…I don’t really believe in asking my mates to fund my celebration other than the expense of getting there and feeding and watering themselves.

I’m having a bit of a mare trying to find accommodation…endless trawling of sc accommodation sites that have the money to pay google but not really the properties that I need. Anyone here know any good sites that don’t come up on page 1 of google searches? Is there anywhere I can post my requirements and owners might contact me?

Camping is probably out of the question btw.

parkesie
    Free Member
    ChrisE
    Free Member

This place is awesome for riding, walking or just getting out, but have no idea how good (or not) the accomodation is.

http://www.dalesbridge.co.uk/

if there are enough of you to fill this, the place is the same, the accomodation is much better (in fact is perfect), the owner is a top MTB rider and you would have a very speical time.

http://www.woodviewbandb.com/

C

j_me
    Free Member

escape to

Some Youth Hostels can be hired out for long weekends etc, although you might have problems getting these at peak times.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I’d also suggest the Landmark Trust – beautiful places but – they don’t have TV’s (yep, seriously…!)
    Great places for a group get together though – in our experience there’s nothing wrong with having no TV if you’re surrounded by good mates, food and beer and games…
    Enjoy!

TheFlyingOx

Go to Holiday Rentals and have a look there. Lots to choose from.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some good suggestions there. Cheers all. Those will keep me occupied for a bit 🙂

sweez
    Free Member

I’ve used these before:

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk

thomthumb
    Free Member

english country cottages has done me well in the past.

hp_source

not a big listing, just one property, but highly recommended if you want something a bit posh. (and not too far from Wales)
    http://www.kempleybarns.co.uk/

freddyg
    Free Member

We stayed here twice, two and three years ago for friends 40th birthday parties. It was really very good. The accomodation isn’t luxurious (bunk beds) but all you do in that part of the building is sleep anyway. It has the added bonus of a fully set up bar that the owners will stock up with your chosen beers – I think we had three on tap.

The games room was great for the kids, as it meant they had somewhere away from the adults when the weather got nasty.

The barbeque area was pretty cool too. It’s covered so it meant that we could cook outside without having to worry about weather.

The only downside for you, DD, is that it isn’t in Wales as per your OP.

Jamie
    Free Member

Camping is probably out of the question btw.

You sure? 😀

teagirl
    Free Member

Some friends used the Outward Bound accomm at Buckden for New Year, slept up to 60 apparently, I’m sure there will be something similar in Wales. I’ve used YHA for party action for weekend too, book the whole place, ideal!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You sure?

My, you’re getting desperate aren’t you hun? 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Anyone know of anything like this in North Devon/Cornwall? Sleep ~20 and be near the coast and a pub?

Jamie
    Free Member

My, you’re getting desperate aren’t you hun?

Yeah, sorry about that. I think my heart is just not in it at the moment. I am just going to stick to helpful Mac based advice from now on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best way to look for large group self-catering accommodation.’ is closed to new replies.