Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best way to keep in touch with the family while I'm working in another country?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I want to be able to call them but phoning is a no go due to the huge cost of calls.

Is Skype the best way to keep in touch? I know nothing about it, it looks like if the computer is on here and I have a computer on there then we can talk – but it's over a microphone and webcam?
    Sounds interesting? Can I get a simple handset (USB Handset? does such a thing exist?) and use that like a phone?

Or is there something better?

samuri
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    No

edit: although get a headset rather than a handset

Trekster

have freinds in Canada who use google mail/vid link/camera to keep in touch with their family back here.

twohats
    Free Member

Skype. I was drinking beer with a mate via it the other night, I'm Sweden, he's in the UK.
    You can use a headset with a mike if you want, it just plugs into the headphone and mike sockets.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

sounds good.

Is it simple to set up and use?

Squidlord
    Free Member

You can also use it to call ordinary phone numbers. You have to buy credit upfront, but the calls are very cheap.

twohats
    Free Member

Very easy to set up and super user friendly.

Squidlord
    Free Member

>Is it simple to set up and use?<

Very. And there's a test number you can use to try out your settings to make sure all's set up properly.

CountZero

If you've got a modern smartphone most seem to have Skype available as a free app.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Use Skpe to keep in touch with people all over, its great.

UncleFred
    Free Member

used skype for 5 years whilst living abroad, Can't fault it.

Great for normal chats and if you have a good broadband connection use video chat as well with good quality.

Load it up with some credit and it is invariably cheaper to call landlines than the local provider.

There were a couple of handsets on the market that were skype specific and you could use them as long as you had a wifi connection, no need to have a computer on. I think they are made by belkin. Not sure if they are still on the market though.

You can also get a skype app on ipod touch, I've used it a couple of times and it works well.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Excellent! Sounds like the ideal solution.

How do you find the connection and quality of sound/video to be?

And am I right in thinking that I don't have to use a webcam – I can use only a headset or microphone?

Squidlord
    Free Member

I've often used it just with the notebook's own mic and speakers.

Voice quality usually very good, video depends on bandwidth

Burts
    Free Member

Skype – yes, undoubtedly. I use it daily for Canada>UK calls and video chats.

But I wouldn't bother with a headset, unless you want to look like you work in a call-centre. If your laptop has 3.5mm headphone socket & microphone socket, then you can just plug in a standard set of ipod-type earphones (yes, earphones in a microphone socket work like a microphone – try it). Or a plug-in microphone off Ebay for less than a fiver.

Better yet, buy a USB webcam (15-20quid, or cheaper on Ebay) which will have a microphone built-in.

My 8 week old daugther recognised me on Skype video last month whilst I was working away – priceless!

scotia
    Free Member

yes, as above..excellent thing. it has vastly improved in the last 2 years.

TooTall
    Free Member

Skype – but Microsoft Messenger is perfectly good if you are used to that software. People seem to forget it has much of the same core functions as Skype and is more widely installed. I find that easier for baby-camming with my parents as I can 'take control' from my end and fix their problems instead of talking them through.

nickc

Or twitter fir the days when you can't be arsed to talk to them

nicko74

Skype for face to face calls by PC; Messenger for chatting through the day/ evening; localphone for talking on the phone (it gives you a local phone number to call).

I shall be using all of the above from today – I'm off to work in Canada, hurrah!

DrJ

Was going to ask for any headset recommendations, but seems like "none" is the team view …

TooTall
    Free Member

Get most any headset with a built in mic and one that has some in line controls are best. I had good results with Logitech ones for comfort and durability. I prefer a headset as it cuts out background noise and gives better audio for both ends.

trail_rat
    Free Member

paying attention to this- in what way does skype differ to msn messenger – if all my friends/family i want to speak to are already on msn messenger.

used messenger for years so familiar with it(long distance relationship during uni) but all the guys at work all say they use skype …. is it just the ability to make calls to a phone line ?

cheers

-m-
    Free Member

I prefer a headset as it cuts out background noise and gives better audio for both ends.

^ This

Skype will also work with a standard bluetooth headset (assuming your PC has bluetooth, or buy an adapter for a few quid).

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, it sounds pretty ideal. I'll be given a company laptop and they will install Skype for me so it will be ready to go.

It will be good to be able to keep in touch with the wife and kids so easily.

Cheers

Cougar

"What headset" would be a question I'd like to pose as well; I need a new one for VoIP calls at work after tripping up over the old one (whilst the wires followed me, the jack plugs did not.)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best way to keep in touch with the family while I'm working in another country?’ is closed to new replies.