Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best way to keep flying mud out of your eyes?
  • FOG

I have tried various sorts of mudguard and crudcatcher but I still find my glasses get covered in mud in fact today mud looped over glasses andstraight into eyes and as my dear wife said, ‘Christ, you look like a f*****g dalmatian!’
    What do people find is the most effective at keeping crap out of the eyes?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ziptie some old inner tube between your fork crown and arch. Or buy an RRP which does the same thing much neater for ~£12

z1ppy

Proper mudguards (crud catcher on it own is useless – get a neoguard to use with it or a proper mudguard like a SKS Shockboard) and glasses, very rarely does anything get past both lines of defence.

rbmccunn
    Free Member

RapidRacerProducts NeoGuard. Works a treat for me, if you haven’t tried one yet you should give it a go.

nuke

As z1ppy, SKS Shockboard…never needed to wear glasses.

Northwind

Downtube guards like Cycra and Crudcatchers are pish by themselves… Barely more than pointless. But, add a RRP thing or better a Muckynuts Bender Fender and you get a better result. The Bender Fender is pretty effective just by itself in fact, very highly Northwind Approved. Much better in my experience than the RRP. (you can make your own easily too)

I’d recommend my SKS Shockboard but I’ve broken 2 at the mounting now, they’re just a wee bit too delicate. Still, they ziptie on easily enough. Absolutely superb at stopping mud though and not all that ugly- less ugly I think than a crudcatcher or similiar and massively less ugly than those ridiculous Crud beak things, not to mention more effective, lighter and easier to fit.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Neoguard works well, as does the FastFender.

I think the Fender might have the edge, but is less attractive and can snap off when clumsily bungeeing bikes up in your mate’s van.

🙁

slowrider
    Free Member

Another vote for the rrp here, with a crud catcher too I can ride without glasses in the filth and not have to worry. In the summer I wear specs but they steam up in the winter.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Steve Pete fender combined with a downtube crud catcher. Brilliant combination, the only time I get anything in my eyes now is if I’m close to the back wheel of another rider…

itsup
    Free Member
    dufresneorama
    Free Member

RRP neoguard is next to useless on it’s own. Recently fitted a crud too and noticed a huge difference. Didn’t have to close my eye’s once last ride!

hainman
    Free Member

hi guys.ive seen the RRP but got muckynutz but theres not much space between my tyre and fork arch,rubs a wee tad and noisy like when you used to stick lollypop sticks in your spokes as a kid,anyhoo i got a neoprene chainstay protector with mbuk and wondered if it was stiched and foldeed over would it work as good as the RRP.might be an option to the noisy muckynutz,cheers

5lab

downhillers have been using the old innertube trick for years – I used to get really odd looks when I turned up at xc rides with one on – no-one would believe me till RRP built one that cost you a tenner.

They work ace though.

chinocchio
    Free Member

I’m a fan of the bender fender, keeps the majority of the dirt and filth off my face and fits subtly on the bike.

avdave2

I’ve used the home made inner tube method which works well but I’ve found the fender bender better. I reckon it gives equal protection but the advantage is that it stops a lot of crap hitting the stanchions. You do loose a tiny amount of mud clearance but it’s pretty insignificant. The only thing it doesn’t seem to like is being hit end on with frozen mud in sub zero temperatures when it becomes brittle and can crack.

It’s a whole penny cheaper from Charlie the Bikemonger and he charges less for postage than Mucky Nutz themselves.

Del

just popped into this thread to dress you lot down for not using the correct terminology.
    an old bit of inner tube strapped between the crown and brace of your fork is a ‘pi55 flap’ where fitted to a fork of up to 130mm of travel, or a ‘beef curtain’ when fitted to a fork of travel >130mm.
    get it right fellas.
    😐

🙂

and yes, they really do work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ziptie some old inner tube between your fork crown and arch

This does not work on my bikes at all. Well, on the 5 or the Patriot. It blocks the stuff that comes off the wheel before the fork and flies in my face but not the stuff that comes off AFTER the fork and still flies in my face. Only think that works for me on those longer travel bikes is a full on SKS mudguard jobbie, that fixes to the fork crown. If you have Pace or Manitou forks then you are SOL and you have to bodge something out of an SKS thing with the back part cut off and a crud catcher.

Traditional crud catcher works well on a short (80mm) travel bike tho.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a bender fender – It works well.

Pieface

Neoguard / Inner tube and a crud catcher are pretty much Impenetrable IME

bullit
    Free Member

anyone got any comments on the cut-inner tube or RRP attachment and possibility of increased crud/ grit accumulating and geting in past fork seals? The mud-guard aspect works for me but I’ve taken them off my bikes after yet another pair of forks came back from servicing with stanchion wear under the seals. Ive been using one of these inner-tube guards for a few years and thats two pairs of forks died on me from stanchion wear, whereas before using one I never had any problems. And yes, i do carry ut servicing on the lowers regularly – I just think the inner tube guard might increase possibility of crap accumulating in the seals area. Anyone else?

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t imagine why the inner tube thing doesn’t work for me and supposedly works for everyone else.

STATO
    Free Member

anyone got any comments on the cut-inner tube or RRP attachment and possibility of increased crud/ grit accumulating and geting in past fork seals? The mud-guard aspect works for me but I’ve taken them off my bikes after yet another pair of forks came back from servicing with stanchion wear under the seals. Ive been using one of these inner-tube guards for a few years and thats two pairs of forks died on me from stanchion wear, whereas before using one I never had any problems. And yes, i do carry ut servicing on the lowers regularly – I just think the inner tube guard might increase possibility of crap accumulating in the seals area. Anyone else?

Ive fitted those Mucky Nutz fenders for just such a reason. Stops mud flicking up between your fork legs (and into your face) while diverting it away from the fork seals. Works really well!

scruff
    Free Member

‘Christ, you look like a f*****g dalmatian!’

My Dalmation does not wear glasses.

5lab

molgrips – what inner tube are you using? I’ve found it only works well with big wide DH tubes – xc ones are too narrow to cover the width of the gap

molgrips
    Free Member

Unfolded my inner tubes cover the gap. It’s just mud is flung from the tyre after it passes the rubber, so there’s nothing to stop it flying into my face.

lipseal
    Free Member

Eyelids work for me…

P.S. don’t know her unfortunately 😥

neninja
    Free Member

Had a couple of RRP Neoguards which worked really well.

Then took it off and can’t find it now so bought a Fender Bender which doesn’t keep the mud off my face quite as well but does keep the fork stanctions pretty clear of mud so well worth it for that purpose.

user-removed
    Free Member

Another vote for the fender bender thingy. Had one fitted for a while now and no longer have to stop half way down every descent to cry my lenses out for 10 minutes.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best way to keep flying mud out of your eyes?’ is closed to new replies.