Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best way to determine chain length?
  • cuberider
    Free Member

Was wondering what the best technique for measuring chain length assuming you don’t have a old chain to guide you.

Over the two largest cogs + two links?

rocketman
    Free Member

Also worth removing the rear shock if your bike has one and checking the chain length as the swing arm moves

Personally I always run the chain big + big and through the mech some mechs move more than others at full stretch

kayak23

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RestlessNative
    Free Member

Round big and big, through the mech and allow just enough so it doesn’t explode if you go into that gear

on the full suss let the air out the shock first

My friend always claims my chain is too tight but I like it nice and tight for maximum tension, stays on better and more resistant to sucking

PaulD
    Free Member

Rocketman has the correct way to allow for the swing arm….shock deflated may not be longest length.

Shimano and SRAM both suggest Large + Large + 2 Rivets (1 complete link) as correct…..it has always worked for me.

PaulD

weeksy

Lets assume you put your bike in largest front and largest rear, with the chain fitted, what angle should your mech be at lads ?

I always assumed vertical, but i’ve now fitted mine and it’s about 5 o’clock. Maybe even 4.30

I’m only running a single ring front if that matters, with a E-13 SRS with tensioner.

rocketman
    Free Member

Lets assume you put your bike in largest front and largest rear, with the chain fitted, what angle should your mech be at lads

Almost horizontal

No need to run it like that with a single ring setup though. The short cage mechs on my two single ring bikes sit at about 5 o’clock in the lowest gear.

kayak23

Lets assume you put your bike in largest front and largest rear, with the chain fitted, what angle should your mech be at lads ?

About like this…

weeksy

Less than that.back to where the next spoke back is approx.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best way to determine chain length?’ is closed to new replies.