Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best way to clean up a blister.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve had one for about six months and it’s just broken.
    It was under tough skin on my foot hence why it’s taken so long (600km audax in pouring rain was the cause)

It went this morning, and has already almost sealed again and filled.

What’s the best way to deal with it?

andysredmini
    Free Member

It may not be the best way but as soon as I get one I rip all the skin off and completely expose it all. It hurts initially but I find it better than letting it drag on for days or weeks untouched.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Get yourself and your foot to a Podiatrist pretty quick. Blisters dont last for 6 months, and there is no way a blister can seal and fill up again that quickly without some sort of underlying cause or pathology.

Make sure they are H.P.C registered or get your GP to refer you to an NHS Podiatrist . . .

Even without knowledge of your medical history if I read those sypmtoms of one of our referral sheets I would be seeing you within 24hrs . . . .

hammyuk
    Free Member

Clear it, expose it and zinc tape it.
    It WILL hurt from the zinc tape but it’ll heal a lot quicker because of it too.

ninfan
    Free Member

Peel off.the skin and wash with iodine or tinc benz

😈

JoeG
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

Fixing quickly and fixing properly are two different things. Ex-forces (well the “walky” types) are generally very experienced in making our feet well enough to use them again in short order BUT, a 6 month old blister?
    I’d be tempted to pop into the GP.

I would never rip the skin off a blister, I would either inject it with tinc benz (removed after a few minutes of agony) or pop it, drain fluid, clean as best I can and apply zinc oxide tape after airing for as long as is practical (always the white stuff, never pink). They can and do often reseal themselves, some take a good few goes. I don’t think you should do either, see the doc.

Ah, and zinc oxide is to reduce friction between the sore spot and the boot/sock, it doesn’t aid with healing, just pain management.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

What captain carbon said.

Blister for 6 months?

Not right.

Smudger666

Wreckers got it – being an ex walky type – well, ex walky/jumpy type…….

After a particularly wet tab across various Scottish hills, I had a blister that formed covering the entire heel of one foot one. Medic said pop it, trim it and pour vodka over it – ‘you’ll be reet’ were his exact words. So I popped it, cut it off and screamed like a girl as the vela did its drying up stingy thing.

What made us, almost to a man, vomit was that as I threw away the trimmed 2″ pad of dead skin, a seagull descended and gobbled it down. Boak!

Sorry, OP just trim it an cover in alcohol to dry it off. It’ll sting like ****, but will heal reasonably quickly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best way to clean up a blister.’ is closed to new replies.