Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best way to clean small bike parts
  • Hareydan
    Free Member

I have my headset in pieces and thought I’d give them a clean before rebuilding, what’s the best way of doing this? There’s a mixture of metal and rubber in there so can I just scrub them in a bowl of warm soapy water or can I use something a bit more aggressive?

Thanks in advance!

Ambrose

Dishwasher.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Get the wife to clean them.

kayak23

Mucoff

teasel
    Free Member

Personally, I use a small amount of citrus degreaser (Halfords own) in the bottom of either a metallic takeaway carton such as you’d get with a chinese (other greasy takeaways with accompanying containers are available) or a wide and shallow yogurt-type product container. Swill around a few times and get to work with an old toothbrush or similar. Rinse with water and dry.

charliedontsurf

Dishwasher when mrs bikemonger Is not looking.

br
    Free Member

Parts Washer:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=7&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=parts+washer&safe=off&rlz=1R2ACAW_enGB373&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1238&bih=630&wrapid=tljp1321915899677010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7424370878108936364&sa=X&ei=9NXKTpXnD8SYhQedpIGiDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAQ#

Not a Man Cave without proper tools.

Taff
    Free Member

Dishwasher…

takisawa2

You should see what the dishwasher did to my Hone cranks… 🙂
    Mucoff and a toothbrush.

curvature
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t use a dishwasher.

The combination of high temperatures and the salt could really do some damage.

A couple of years ago I bought a set of Global knives and Global state on their website do not put in the dishwasher. However this instruction was not included in the box of knives.

Guess what? My wife put a few in the dishwasher and they were in a right state. Pitted blades and in some cases chunks out of the edge of the blade. Completely ruined which when you have just spent a few hundred quid it is not what you want to see.

Good news was that as the instructions were not in the box with the rest of the boxes in Selfridges they accepted this and replaced them all.

So be careful!

Wally

ALDI small ultrasonic cleaner full of parafin.

Murray

Anyone tried an ultrasonic washer? Sounds perfect for chain and cassette and they’re getting towards cheap now.

Murray

Beat me to it Wally! Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best way to clean small bike parts’ is closed to new replies.