Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best way to accept payment for a car?
  • rhid

My car is on eBay classifieds. A guy asked if I accept credit cards. I obviously don’t but it got me thinking about the best way to accept payment!

Is cash or bank transfer still the best way?

It’s on for 3k so not a mega fortune but not insignificant amounts either.

jonnyboi

cash, and cash only.

bruneep

We agreed a sale. Drove to bank did a transfer over counter, bank confirmed money in my account. I handed keys and documents over to new owner and he drove me home. Was £10k neither of us wanted to carry that about.

firestarter
    Free Member

Same as bru. That many dodgy accounts and fake cash these days it’s the only safe way imho

dashed
    Free Member

Cash paid into a bank with both parties present seems to be the only totally safe way.

Most other ways can be reversed…

dashed
    Free Member

But electronic transfers can be reversed. Cash paid in over the counter and checked by the bank cannot.

Cougar

Paypal Gift, obvs.

rhid

Well obviously PayPal gift or the best option. That goes without saying.

willjones
    Free Member

I sold a car through here actually, north of £15k, long-distance, over a bank holiday weekend. It was a bit of a challenge, and I am eternally grateful to the purchaser’s understanding, tolerance and patience, while we worked out how to do this, but the following worked: Small deposit by bank transfer to cover advertising cost (it was also on auto trader) refundable if inspection and test-drive proved unsatisfactory, then photo of banker’s draft emailed over on the Friday. I took photo to local branch of purchaser’s bank to have it verified, then toddled off down the A1 on the Sunday for test-drive/exchange, a cuppa and a train ride home.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Route the cash through a Nigerian Private Bank, then to one in the Seychelles, transfer half into a Afghanistan Bank then the other half split between a Russian mid tier and Slovenian mid tear Bank. Once that’s done open an offshore account in Barbuda, not in your name so you’ll have to open it up in a company name, then open an account in an Irish Bank in another company name (subsidiary or holding) then transfer lumps of no more than £3k pcm into the Irish account and spend it unwisely..

HTHs.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Bitcoin obv.

andy8442
    Free Member

Amazon vouchers?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I took 3600 for mine in cash. Put it in the bank the next day no dodgy notes. I once drew 200 out the cashpoint to put in another account. One of the 20’s was fake and the cashier picked up on it. I explained it had just come out of their cashpoint. Caused all manner of shit as i stood my ground and refused to accept it as a loss to me. Make of that what you will.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best way to accept payment for a car?’ is closed to new replies.