Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Best way of cleaning windscreens in the inside
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

White Vinegar is an brilliant cleaner and general descaler. Does smell a bit but goes away after a short while. My top tip is to clean the windscreen outdoors ideally in sunlight as if done indoors there are always marks you can’t see. As we drive a lot in the city it’s depressing how dirty the inside of the screen gets, diabolical air quality and pollution.

hot_fiat

Surely the newspaper trick leaves ink smears everywhere?(Going off the fact when you handle them it goes all over your hands) Are you lot soaking the newspaper in the vinegar or just using it sparingly?

The carbon in the newsprint works as an abrasive. Newsprint isn’t bleached either, just washed and then roughly rinsed. As a result a lot of detergent is left in the paper from manufacturing which breaks down grease. The other glass cleaning trick is to fill the vessel with some rice & agitate it vigorously, though this is somewhat impractical with a car. (My ex was a glass blower, we had a lot of glass to clean)

Gary_M
    Free Member

As we drive a lot in the city it’s depressing how dirty the inside of the screen gets, diabolical air quality and pollution.

You’re not really helping you know!

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Microfibre towel/cloth for finishing.

As an aside – I’ve had the windscreen replaced on a couple of cars – one at about 175,000 and one at 200,000 mile. Blimey. It’s like night and day! 😀

Only downside is you loose the “Abba starburst video” effect in low sun & night time traffic.

boggie62
    Free Member

I have been trying for two years to get rid of a bloom that appears on the inside of my windscreen when its cold and damp. Even IPA wouldn’t shift it, it looked like it had gone only to magically reappear a few seconds later. I’ve just tried meths and newspaper and hey presto, I do believe its finally gone. Good old STW..

Xylene
    Free Member

Persian cat dipped in white vinegar. Levers no shears and the claws can scrape off as NY d TT icky bits

flannol
    Free Member

The only thing that has, and ever has, worked is Windowlene (or the more expensive autoglym fast glass – but why) and elbow grease. The elbow grease bit is important.

I use old ripped up bedsheets, the cold smooth type (not the fluffy cotton type), spray windowlene on the screen (I do it in blocks of 1ft from bottom to top, moving across the windscreen) and scrub f****ng hard with the cloth. You need to scrub until no trace is left on the screen. You will notice the cloth turns quite black – that’s all the sh**.

It will be factory spotless. You then shouldn’t need to clean the inside of your windscreen again if you do it properly, indefinitely, until some moron touches it. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, wipe condensation off of it. Sit in your car and wait out the 5-10 minutes for the screen to clear when it’s cold outside.

ELBOW GREASE.

ELBOW GREASE.

steve-g
    Free Member

Windowlene or cheap own brand supermarket alternative, and newspaper. As above the trick is to mist from a distance and then wipe it to dry with the paper so as not to smear. Will require a little effort. Then, once this is done never, ever touch the glass…ever. To this end, having moved away from ford and lost the heated demister thing I now have a bag full of silica gel beads that I leave on the dash overnight to absorb any moisture in the air to avoid having to wait 5 mins for the glass to demist while I am in a frantic hurry to get the kids dropped off (not a euphemism)

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Romanians ftw.

CountZero

I now have a bag full of silica gel beads that I leave on the dash overnight to absorb any moisture in the air to avoid having to wait 5 mins for the glass to demist while I am in a frantic hurry to get the kids dropped off (not a euphemism)

I’ve got one of those, it’s an old microfibre sunglasses bag I found, and it’s filled with kitty litter.
    Actually it’s the crystal type I got from Wilco’s, which is silica gel crystal, cost £3 for a large bag, a couple of kg, I think.
    Works really well.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Best way of cleaning windscreens in the inside’ is closed to new replies.