Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best VFM Garmin type thing
  • ready

Apologies if it’s been done before, but I’m about to enter the Strava nation and looking at getting a GPS thing. Don’t really need an all singing/dancing thing. Just want to be able to record my rides, and follow others rides when I’m out and looking for new routes.
    Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Just use the app if you have a smart phone

cyclistm
    Free Member

Sorry,i missed the requirement for following routes. Ignore me

mikertroid
    Free Member

If your phone isn’t great in terms of battery life, a Bluetooth GPS can be ideal; GPS tends to hammer the battery but with BT it’s not so bad. Can get a decent one for not too much either.

ready

Wanted to move away from using the phone, just looking for an easy to use alternative?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The Garmin touring ones are quite good for following routes and can be picked up quite cheap. They come with OpenStreetmap maps, but can also use Garmins OS maps too.

You can also download GPX files from other peoples rides, or make them on Strava / BikeHike etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you want the performance training stuff like heart rate?

If not, the Edge Touring will show directions on a map and generate a better GPS trail of your ride than a mobile phone.

ready

Thanks Chakaping, I’ll have a look at the Touring ones. Any other makes? Or are Garmin the best? This will be used for mtb purposes, if it makes a difference..

johnnystorm

Touring plus can do HRM but not cadence and has a handy “random ride generator” that creates rides for you to a set distance loop. The touring models also have full uk OSM maps installed.

I’d still suggest going for an 810 or similar as OSM maps can be easily had for free from the web http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and having the garmin sync’d via your phone is a lot less faff than having to plug it into your pc everytime you finish a ride.

jam-bo

Buying second hand can be good value 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garmin-520-mio-fuse-hrm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best VFM Garmin type thing’ is closed to new replies.