Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best value dropper post?
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

I don’t do the sort of riding that requires one often so don’t want to spend big bucks on a Thompson or anything. I’d probably go for an under seat lever over a remote so I can swap it about easy. something I can service would be great. It’ll get used most often in summer months for trips away from the flat New Forest.

I’d need a 31.6mm-400mm post for my Niner Air 9.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Really depends on your definition of value.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple Facts….

Value hard to judge
    Lever under post is crap – I owned one and didn’t use it as much as I would have due to having to take a hand off to use it.
    I’d go for reliable (or at least good back up)

My Lev has done very well.

gogg
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to weigh up the pro’s and cons of the X-Fusion or this deal on the reverb from my local store

daver27
    Free Member

Giant Contact Switch. use a shim to fit to 31.6, can be converted from internal to external routing. nice little lever and proving to be as good and reliable as anything else out there, and only £145 quid if you shop around!

here

29erKeith
    Free Member

Less than £200 (closer to £100) and not likely to fall to pieces after 2 rides would be good. I’m guessing second hand markets a real gamble

It won’t get a lot of use a few hundred miles a year really
    remote’s not a deal breaker if the under seat ones are that rubbish

29erKeith
    Free Member

thats a good price on the reverb

29erKeith
    Free Member

gogg wiggle have got the xFusion much cheaper than your link

mikewsmith
    Free Member

KS900 lever used 3 years old offers but postage would be expensive from Oz and you would get stung for duty…

Northwind

Reverb wouldn’t be my first choice but when they’re on discount the price is hard to argue with, quality option for a good price.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just paid £180 for a 125mm Reverb with bleed kit and enduro collar thingy.

29erKeith
    Free Member

lots of different recommendations there cheers

anything to really avoid!

djflexure
    29erKeith
    Free Member

oh and thanks Mike, but I’ll pass, postage duty and all wouldn’t make it a good option I don’t think

gogg
    Free Member

Thanks Keith, I’d just go to Pete and ask him what his best deal on it was, he’s looked after me in the past.

razorrazoo

If you’re weighing up between a Reverb and an X-Fusion I upgraded to the former from the latter. There is a significant improvement in performance (button feel, button responsiveness, post return, saddle clamp) and if you have the budget and not limited by seatpost size it is a no brainer.

james
    Free Member

“use a shim to fit to 31.6”
    Yep, then you’ve all the 30.9mm options to go for too, ie giant contact switch and spesh (going to be pricey) are I think 30.9mm only
    Also, if you buy a 30.9mm post (of any type) then if you swap frames in the future and get something in 30.9mm, you won’t have to buy a new droppr post

Winstanleys sell the USE 30.9mm-31.6mm shim if you’re looking for one

Simon

With a budget of £100 I’d go for a 2nd hand Gravity Dropper. Not much to go wrong so make a good used buy.

dallas95
    Free Member

I have a brand new, never fitted Giant Contact Switch dropper post for sale here. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-giant-dropper-post-and-topeak-shock-pump

I will reduce to £110.00 posted if you want it.

ohrats
    Free Member

Just been out with my new Satori Sorata Pro (£80) looks better than I expected and seems to be built well. No lateral play from the post at all and the whole unit is pretty torsionally rigid. The remote is good quality and the action is predictable and so far I’ve had no problems with it. It even comes with a shim!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

ExaForm (Kind Shock’s cheap brand) posts for 90 quid here.

15 quid more for a remote, or remoteless gravity droppers (very servicable) around the 135 mark. Should all be above the free postage threshold too I think.

29erKeith
    Free Member

cheers all for advice and info, not in the market today, but a likely birthday present in a few months.

very tempted by a few of the £100 ish options there, especially as it’ll not be used loads, just ‘cos of what’s local and the number of times I get away nowadays with the little one around.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m still very impressed with my XFusion Hilo. 2 winters old now and cost £130. I dont use the bar lever, as I like to swap the seatpost+saddle when I fit a tag along. OK, no lever on the bars is a hindrance, but an acceptable one for trails I know (you do get a bar mount if required, so best of both). The reliability has been spot on. I checked the pressure once and thats all I have done other than clean the outer with rest of bike and spray fork juice on.
    For £130, it was a bargain. I also have a reverb on my FS bike. That works very well, but hasnt been so reliable. Had to send it off for a service, and at £100, it takes the value down a few notches.

kimbers

2nd hand gravity dropper easy to service and gd will return it for a few quid plus postage to the states so 30 quid all in to get it working as new

sprocker
    Free Member

That new ks eten looks good, 110 from leisure lakes

sillyoldman

Apologies for hijack, but I’ve got an unused 31.6 Reverb that I bought for my FS bike, having loved having one on my Honzo.

Never fitted it, and have replaced the FS frame and so require a different post.

Got it at a great price from CRC, hence the less than sensible panic purchase.

Would let it go for £150 posted if of interest?

OEM one with silver collar, but up to date internals.

Email in profile if of interest.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I’ll second the Satori Sorata Pro (same post as the RSP Plummet).

They are £75 on ebay from the UK stockist, modelled on the Gravity Dropper like most cheap posts are, but rather than drilled holes in the inner post and plastic guides the Satori post has metal guides and grooves so stronger and less likely to wear for lateral movement.

For an extremely budget post I can’t fault it – it is a remote post and the cable it arrived with was a little short for me frame, but that was a simple change and was up and running!!

Oh – and I use a shim for 31.6 with no issues

joolsburger
    Free Member

I got a KS Eten for €110 on line with a remote a few months back and it’s been pretty good so far.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Forget the rest, just get a Reverb.

nwill1
    Free Member

I paid circa £160 for my Reverb, no regrets what so ever, just keep an eye out, there’s always a deal popping up on them.

naffa
    Free Member

Another vote here for the ks eten. Bought from bike discount de and works great

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best value dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.