Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best value drop bar hydro disc brakes?
  • charliemort

What’s out there? Does anyone do none brighter hydraulic levers? Could be brifters and continue using current bar end shifters I suppose?

Thanks

otsdr
    Free Member

There’s TRP Hylex if you only want the brakes.

Shimano also launched the 105-level hydro shifters (ST-RS505), but they are priced way too close to the Ultegra-level ones (ST-RS685), which are much nicer in my opinion.

charliemort

Apologies for double post!

charliemort

See what you meaning about pricing!

Ultegra are £300 on merlin

Gotama
    Free Member

If you’re happy with the bar end shifter then I’ve been very impressed with the TRP Hylex that came on my Pinnacle, slightly prefer them to the hydro 105s that are on the other bike. You can also get a kit that converts the levers to allow the di2 buttons if that takes your fancy in the future.

Ben_H

I literally just finished building a year-round roadie (Kinesis 4S Disc) and looked at options for hydro disc brakes.

Between the issues of cost and an internally routed frame, I decided against hydraulic discs at this stage – and instead plumped for regular 105 5800 STIs with BB7 SL callipers for c.£200. They work really nicely.

I’m not saying that they’re quite as good as hyrdaulics, but I’d say the braking feel of regular 105 5800 STIs is really good and – on that basis – don’t rule out cable discs while the hyrdo alternatives are still in their first generation.

avdave2

don’t rule out cable discs while the hyrdo alternatives are still in their first generation.

Or even cable operated hydro calipers, I’ve TRP Spyres with 105 5800 levers and find them very good though I’d be curious to try them with hydro calipers.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I use the much maligned, non hydraulic, cable operated BB5s – they get a lot of flack, but I’ve found them to be great. And cheap.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bb5’s here too, they’re fine, really.

daver27
    Free Member

I’m running the Juin Tech calipers with 105 sti’s and they are bloomin awesome. 80-90% of the power of hydros. if you have levers you like i can’t recommend them enough

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have to say I’m considering going *back* to using those Juin Tech/Acor calipers, because I really don’t like the shape of the new RS685 levers. Much bigger, longer, wider and more uncomfortable than the old ones, and the baggy hoods are getting quite irritating.

charliemort

I currently have mountain bike pull tektro levers with bb7’s. I guess I’d need to change levers for those Juin Tech jobbies?

or as some have said – just stick with what I have

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I changed from the decent trp spyre cable discs to the ultegra 685’s from merlin, holy smokes it was so worth it.
    One of the best bike purchases I’ve made going from cable to hydro.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

Just last weekend I fitted trp hy/rds with compressionless jagwire housing activated by 105 5800’s.
    These replaced bb5’s which I found wanting.
    The difference is night and day. More power than I was expecting. my main motivation was the self adjustment.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had BB7’s, HyRd’s & 685’s on my current CX bike.
    I won’t be changing the 685’s any time soon (“bloomin awesome”, covers it)

firestarter
    Free Member

Trp hylex here love them

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I find the hydraulic disc brakes have been great this winter especially with all this rain. They work so effectively and that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? But like others have said they’re first gen and I think the calipers and the levers look ugly.

The hoods are really annoying. I think they should have more rubber padding where the hands rest as I’ve resorted to putting gel beneath them plus they slide about sometimes preventing me from changing gear. This is a really irritating flaw.

cookeaa

I use the much maligned, non hydraulic, cable operated BB5s – they get a lot of flack, but I’ve found them to be great. And cheap.

Mine are now I have fitted sintered pads, wear rate for the organic pads once the weather gets wet, especially if you venture off road is alarming IME…

I’m going to keep an eye on hydraulic brake developments for drops, but for now the BB5s will do.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Another vote for Shimano 685s here. Just work really well. Not found any issues with the hoods but they are a bit loose.

Have used BB7s and Spyres which both worked well but ultimately were a pain to keep adjusted etc.

Briefly tried the Juin Tech semi hydraulics, did work really well but mine were both faulty with sticky pistons.

Regards

charliemort

Has anyone tried taping over the hoods on 685’s? Would that help?

pdw
    Free Member

The hoods on my RS685s have a tiny bit of play in that you can squeeze them in slightly, but they certainly don’t slide around. Maybe I got the newer hoods?

cchris2lou

I have the Juin R1, and when they work they are good, but I already had 1 caliper changed under warranty, and now both front and back are going the same way. I have emailed Edges, but no reply yet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best value drop bar hydro disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.