Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best value carbon full suss 27.5 MTB frames?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a full suspension bike again after being away from them for 5 years. I’ve test ridden a few carbon Santa Cruz’s and really enjoyed the feel of the carbon vs alu.

There’s no way I can afford a brand new SC frame and shock. The only way I can afford any of the frames I really want is to go second hand but then I have no warranty and it’s still a lot of money to spend especially if it breaks.

Anyone know of any nice frames for under £2000 or am I dreaming? You can quote that 😉 Maybe some companies do a transferable warranty?

SirHC
    GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. I had a Trance before and wasn’t really blown away but I think they’ve got better. I’ll go and test one.

I meant to say that I’m looking for an ‘all mountain’ design with around 6 inches of travel preferably frame and shock only so I can build it up.

parkesie
    Free Member

Pauls cycles cannondale trigger or jekyl carbon full bikes for 2k

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cube Stereo 140TM then sell the parts.

wrecker
    Free Member

I previously had a carbon SC and now have both an alu and carbon Giant. Looking at them, there is a difference. You can see that the Giant carbon isn’t one piece as the SC was. The Giant rear isn’t carbon. The welds on the alu aren’t as nice as they could perhaps be (I have owned a nicolai too).
    In practice (where it matters) the Giants (both) feel at least as good as the SC (better really), and the SC failed and I wasn’t happy with the “warranty”.
    I’d buy another Giant tomorrow. I couldn’t say the same about santa cruz.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Interesting to hear that about the Giants. My old Trance was very well built but it just never filled me with much excitement. I would possibly go for the Reign if it rode nice but it’s incredibly slack and I was hoping for something with shorter chain stays. Something with similar geo to the Mojo HD3 but half the price!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I was in this position earlier this year. Looked at strive, radon etc.from germany and ended up getting an ex demo Nomad as nothing rode as well! Keep checking the sc website as ex demo.bikes come up.

superhooper

Have you considered a Canyon Strive or Spectral. The framesets are listsed as coming soon, and I think last year they were around the £2K mark.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. Looking for something with 6 inches of travel 67/68 degree head angle and shortish chain stays. Fun handling.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

OK thanks. Looking for something with 6 inches of travel 67/68 degree head angle and shortish chain stays. Fun handling.

That’s not really where the bike makers are going at the moment. Short & steep is pretty much the opposite to where the industry is pushing bikes.

I’d probably look out for a closeout deal on something like the Mojo HDR, old model Bronson etc.

makkag
    Free Member

Not sure if there are any Capra’s left now but a 2016 Lyrik equiped full bike was coming in at around 2.8k

Sell what you dont want ?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a ring around some santacruz dealers. I didn’t pay much more than your budget for a new nomad frame. Some will tell you that there is no discount though.
    In my experience you may as well get what you want or you will never be fully happy.
    Edit: Also consider how long you will keep the bike and resale value. If you buy something like a giant it will be worth about 30p after in a couple of years (i speak from experience) whereas some other bikes may cost more but will be worth more for longer. I normally keep my bikes for quite a while so resale doesn’t really concern me but I know its a consideration to some.

DT78
    Free Member

From your requirements I’d say you should look for a mark 1 nomad and spend the rest on a trip to the Alps. Frame material is less important IMO on FS bikes. Don’t think you will gfi d a 27.5 with those stats

I have a mark 1 btw. It is a great frame.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you pop down to your local Evans you can pick up a carbon framed Norco full suss for less than £2k.

The Sight 7.4 is currently up for £1680. I’ve just bought one.

antares
    Free Member

Just got a brand new 2016 Nomad with Hope headset for £2k from Pedal & Spoke 🙂

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think that might be the Nomad I was looking at on pink bike! Not tested one of those yet. I’m quite surprised at how slack the head angle fashion is right now. I always thought it took the life out of a bike going too slack.

chakaping
    Free Member

That Norco looks like just what you’re after: Carbon, short-ish frame and chainstays, 67 degree HA and very reasonably priced.

Don’t get hung up on the 140mm travel – modern shock and the slightly bigger wheels will make it very capable.

The Range is still short but a fair bit slacker…
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/range-carbon-74-2015-mountain-bike-ec073034

antares
    Free Member

I think that might be the Nomad I was looking at on pink bike!

Probably, that’s where I got it from

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best value carbon full suss 27.5 MTB frames?’ is closed to new replies.