Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best value brake rotors
  • Kahurangi

I’m burning through rotors annoyingly quickly – they get worn, get bent and I end up changing them once a year or so.

203 mm F and 180 mm R.

A few times I’ve caught shimano rotors cheap on CRC, so maybe £10 a pop or £15 for the (slightly old style) ice tech ones but they’re pretty pricey right now.

Are any other rotors any good value for money or are there any false economies to be wary of?

(There are some cheap Clarks on CRC right now but one of the reviews points out that the vibrate and pulse due to the larger holes.)

TIA

chakaping
    Free Member

I buy superstar ones and they last ages, couldn’t recommend a specific style though – they change them so often.

BillOddie

disco brakes!

ajantom

I bought some ‘Avid’ rotors on ebay from China. Think it was £5 for both including postage.
    They look OK, they stop the bike, seem to be lasting well, and they even came with T25 bolts. It’s a piece of cut out flat steel – not much that can go wrong!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m burning through rotors annoyingly quickly – they get worn, get bent and I end up changing them once a year or so.

😯

How many sets of pads do you go through??

andybrad

I’ve found the shimano rotors don’t last. Sill to wear a hope one out

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hope rotors and Shimano callipers ftw

Kahurangi

How many sets of pads do you go through??

If I manage to make a rotor last without getting big dings or buckles in it, maybe 6 sets? At the moment I end up taking the bike apart and stacking it in the car most times I get out so I’m bashing the rotors more frequently.

I am trialling some ‘Avid’ rotors off eBay on my commuter. They’ve gone a little rusty and I’m not keen on putting something that I have any doubts about on my mountain bike, which get worked a lot harder.

michaelbowden

6 sets of pads??? Do you only use sintered pads?

The 180mm Hope floating rotor I’ve just retired, because I can feel the wear across the brake surface, I bought 6 years ago!

That includes 4 trips to the Alps.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I like the Shimano Deore XT SM-RT 76 Brake Discs as they last for ages and don’t go out of true.

They are not a cheap outright purchase but you don’t need to replace them and they don’t squeak.

The Ice tech versions are also excellent if you have the extra cash.

ajantom

OP – do you drag your brakes?
    If you’re wearing out a set of rotors and getting through 6 sets of pads a year, something is not right!
    I’ve got 8 year old Hope floating rotors on one bike, only just starting to think they might need replacing now, and they’ve done 1000’s of miles.

stevied
    Free Member

Best value rotors I had was when CRC was selling Formula 2-piece rotors/mounts/bolts for £4.99/set 🙂

Kahurangi

If you’re wearing out a set of rotors and getting through 6 sets of pads a year, something is not right!

That’s pretty much the only time I actually wore out rotors before I bent them and replaced them. That year I was riding 2 x per week with approx 1000 m vert per ride. Then a month road trip in NZ. Then 3 weeks in Canada (mostly skiing, some biking) and 3 months in Nepal. Kevlar compound pads and 6 sets is an estimate, I’m not anal enough to log mileage. 😛

At the moment I’m bending rotors too frequently but anyway, the reason is moot. I’m curious to what people think is decent VFM on rotors. I’m not convinced £30 per end on Hope is what I’m after!

Uberbike only seem to do floating or vented rotors now anyway?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

do you drag your brakes?

yeah, Jon’s got no skillz at all.

😉

ajantom

I wasn’t casting aspersions on his skillz 😉 just surprised about the amount of pads he was getting through!

This accounts for most of it though…

Then a month road trip in NZ. Then 3 weeks in Canada (mostly skiing, some biking) and 3 months in Nepal.

I’ve got a mate who’s an inveterate brake dragger. He’s still a very fast rider, but he gets through about double the pads I do.

teethgrinder

No use now, but Halfords were doing the slx 203mm rotors for £5 not long ago.

I’m also finding these ok on the back for £5 as well

Kahurangi

yeah, Jon’s got no skillz at all.

Don’t flatter me old man, I’m guilty of a bit of brake dragging, sure! I just wanted to steer the discussion away from improving my technique for longer pad/rotor life and towards finding the optimum value rotors 🙂

Good spot on the Lifeline ones teethgrinder – they would be ideal if they did a 200-203 mm model for the front!

Think I’ll do some eBay’ing for some mid-price rotors that aren’t counterfeit ‘Avid’!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best value brake rotors’ is closed to new replies.