Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best tyres for Sussex clay?
  • continuity
    Free Member

South downs / North Downs riding, 2.1-2.3.

It’s hardpack chalky clay with loose stones and rocks on top. When it rains (which it tends to) the top turns into grease, and said grease can be anywhere between a few mils and a few feet thick.

Any ideas?

chiefgrooveguru

Don’t you mean least bad? 😉 Mud-X are a popular choice round here. I haven’t found a great solution on the larger volume / harder hitting front because anything big weighs a ton and gets stuck in your frame once covered in thick clayey mud. But when the mud isn’t too sticky Bontrager XR4s are good.

avdave2

Mud x for me on the south downs through the winter, in fact they stay on my rigid bike all year round.

chiefgrooveguru

Mud-X are now called XR Mud btw.

continuity
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of XR4’s that came on a Trek Remedy. Dangerous evil tyres and I do not ever want them again.

Do you guys run Mud X’s in the summer as well (as it may be that soon!) – as the downs turn into rock hard chalk with loose rocks on top.

How would an all-round tyre like a Rampage SC or Fire XC fare?

And I guess I should mention I intend to gorilla tape ghetto tubeless them on WTB rims.

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis High Rollers work for me. Nothing will grip the slick chalk perfectly, but they work pretty well. As a previous poster said, clay clagging up in your frame / mech etc is a bigger problem. Certain Downs trails are best left alone when saturated, especially on the tops, the woods often being the better winter option.

Mud-X’s also work well, alot of my buddies use them, but they’re more winter specific so need to come off late Spring as the nobbles get a bit squirmy on hardpack.

bigsi
    Free Member

Sorry but a slight hijack for chiefgrooveguru – Pitch Hill ride tomorrow morning 9am from the walking bottom car park, details are on Sussex MTB forum 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

Ardents for me in the dry & mud x’s in the wet….. simples 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

I was up there this morning, it’s riding well despite overnight rain.

spooky_b329

Small block 8’s are always good for a laugh. No clogging issues 😆

avdave2

Do you guys run Mud X’s in the summer as well (as it may be that soon!) – as the downs turn into rock hard chalk with loose rocks on top.

How would an all-round tyre like a Rampage SC or Fire XC fare?

As I said they stay on my rigid bike all year round and I don’t find them a problem and the grounds as hard as summer now. I’ve got Fire XC’s on the hardtail which I use in better weather but I found they clogged in the winter too easily, I could end up stopping 3 times in 5 miles on the way to work to clear the mud.

Taff
    Free Member

Currently running mudx on the back and had bugger all grip tonight.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Rocket Rons have fared well in the gloop over winter and adapt well in the varying weather. The shoulders could be more edgy, but the knobs are soft and the pattern clears ok without being draggy.

john_l
    Free Member

Mud Xs in the wet, Crossmarks in the dry

wheelie

Spec Storm Controls ok………..not compared them to Mud X though

germolene
    Free Member

we ride all over the Downs. When it does rain try to keep to the grass or at least off the wet chalk, it can be lethal. Try not to stop too suddenly and careful when turning
    otherwise move out of Sussex 😀

birdage

+1 for above.
    More likely to come off when going really slow and turning on wet chalk. Kingston Ridge in the rain. Mud X also but really like a Ralph/Ignitor combo when dry.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

+1 for XR4’s. FR4 is pretty good too in the gloop and when it dries the FR3’s are fitted.

I think most South Downs riders would approve of every world cup DH track having one chalky, flinty, rooty, off camber corner, preferably kept wet so that it develops that thin green veneer of teflon algae.

DrP

Bigsi -are you worthingsi on the forum??

DrP

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve been on spesh storm contols this winter/spring, they have the edge on mud x imo, they seem to roll a little faster on dry mud, was on the south downs and friston over the easter hols and they coped well on wet and dry chalk, flint and mud. Friston conditions are great at the mo, never seen so many riders.

damo2576
    Free Member

I ride south downs and find Mud X great all year round.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Waves at Spooky and Ming.

OP – Been impressed with my High Rollers too – a good all rounder and firm footed.

Spooky – I recall you sliding down the SDW near Arundel a while back on stoopid small block 8s – fun if a bit mental!

TM

wwaswas

Mud-X in the winter.

Intense System 5’s during the rest of the year as they’re almost as good as the Mud-X’s in the gloop but also a great all rounder.

I don’t like changing tyres every week to suit the conditions.

kudos100
    Free Member

High roller/advantage in summer

Swampthing/mud x in winter

Painey
    Free Member

Often ride Mud X-s when the South Downs get really bad but I can’t agree enough that some trails are just best left alone. That green algae that develops on the chalk turns the paths into an ice rink! Myself and most of my mates have come off because of it and normally when you’re just cycling in a straight line minding your own business.

Back to the tyres though, I’ve ridden Nobby Nic’s all last winter and they’re surprisingly good. I run them tubeless at no more than 30psi. Conti Rubber Queens have gone down well too, Black Chilli versions.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve been a mud-x fan but think the maxxis beaver has the edge, bit more volume and a bit faster, not noticed any loss in grip…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best tyres for Sussex clay?’ is closed to new replies.