• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cxi.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best Tyres for Serious Mud
  • HB47

Was out last night in serious mud and the Bontrager XDXs just ball up – any suggestion the best tyres for mud ( it is going to be a long muddy winter – joy.)

Highlight of the night saw two badgers !

cy

If you don’t need the volume, then Bonty MudX 2.0 are amazing. If you have the frame clearance and are willing to have your will to live sucked out of you on road sections, 2.35″ Maxxis Swampthing Super Tacky (front), something grippier than an XDX on the back.

FuzzyWuzzy

Deep gloopy mud then it’s hard to beat Trailrakers but they’re sketchy in most other conditions so depends on what you mostly ride through. Mud-X’s are much better for general wet/muddy conditions as long as you’re not in deep stuff all the time IMO.

scaredypants

trailrakers great general xc
    or soft wetscream/swampthing if rooty (same comment as above though)
    mud-x are quite good

if you’re fast, get some skinny boyracer ones instead (but I’d sink without a trace on ’em)

convert

Around where I live muddy also equals wet rooty and whilst the trailrakers were great in the gloop they were iffy elsewhere. The Mud x seems a good compromise.

Have to say though when it gets proper muddy I just hate it and save the trails and go road riding instead.

z1ppy

Deep gloopy mud then it’s hard to beat Trailrakers but they’re sketchy in most other conditions so depends on what you mostly ride through. Mud-X’s are much better for general wet/muddy conditions as long as you’re not in deep stuff all the time IMO.

+1

trailrakers great general xc

So not, draggy as hell buggers, you can hear them literally dragging on the road they make so much noise. Don’t get me wrong, great mud tyre but I won’t be fitting them again, Mud-X is a more capable all round tyres & don’t feel like your dragging the bike along.

DT78
    Free Member

1.8 Medusa front, 2.0 Mud x rear

scaredypants

So not, draggy as hell buggers, you can hear them literally dragging on the road they make so much noise. Don’t get me wrong, great mud tyre but I won’t be fitting them again, Mud-X is a more capable all round tyres & don’t feel like your dragging the bike along.

(was mostly in the context of OP – “for serious mud”)

Xylene
    Free Member

If I could carry my Swampthings to the top change them over andride them down they would be perfect.

I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet flog them, my legs aren’t man enough for them – 3 ride old swampthing2.35 STgoing up for sale

Bimbler
    Free Member

Continental Cross Country 1.5 or Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 1.5 for serious mud

emac65
    Free Member

If it’s just a mud & nothing else tyre then nothing beats Fire Mud pro’s which are by far the best out ‘n out mud tyre I’ve ever used.But terrible on anything else,scarily lethal on anything else tbh…

njee20
    Free Member

Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 1.5 for serious mud

+1, although now discontinued, fantastic tyres. Unbeatable in proper mud, Trail Rakers are too fat, they just clog in the frame if it’s really sticky.

Mud X for general winter riding.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Maxxis Medusa on the back for me and a Highroller or R/Queen up front maybe

cxi
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best Tyres for Serious Mud’ is closed to new replies.