Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best tyres for CX
  • ds3000
    Free Member

I’m in the process of turning my road going Pompino into a cross bike and am at the ‘what tyres’ stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve some used once Schwable CX pro’s, £19 posted if you fancy them? I wanted my toruing bike to work in snow, it didn’t so i’m selling them.

slowjo
    Free Member

IIRC CRC are doing Kenda Small Block 8’s 700×32 (folders) at a tenner each. I have just got some and if I like them I’ll be buying a spare pair. Just have to finish building the bike yet though!

stever
    Free Member

Depends what you want them for really. I’ve got Maxxis Locusts on my Pompino, big enough to batter a few rocks without cringing. They don’t clear that well in the mud though…

Useful third brake by steverile, on Flickr

ds3000
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – thanks for the offer, i might take you up on that. i’ll mail you

I’ll be using them on the road, hardpack and mud – so an all rounder I suppose.

stever – how do you find the head angle on the Pompino when going downhill, too steep or ok?

a11y

I’m using Schwalbe CX Comps and finding them excellent for road, great for hardpack, but a tad too lightly treaded for proper mud. Great fun though but not the best if you want to make progress in a straight line 🙂

Previously used Schwalbe Landcruisers (great tyre) but decided to try these for change.

stever
    Free Member

Absolutely fine. I’ve ridden it round a few trail centres etc and raced cross and not died yet. Don’t think any cross tyre is going to be ideal on the road, but these are ok and don’t wear too fast. Hope that helps.

ds3000
    Free Member

stever – thanks for the info

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve some used once Schwable CX pro’s, £19 posted if you fancy them? I wanted my toruing bike to work in snow, it didn’t so i’m selling them.

😉

iainc

for road and hardpack I find Spesh Borough’s spot on. not much good in mud though

MarginWalker
    Free Member

Thanks to recommendations on here about a year ago I went for Maxxis Raze, roll great on the road for my commutes and work great off road for weekend racing, will never use another CX tyre if I can avoid it.

ds3000
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, can i just confirm that your Schwalbes are 700c?

ds3000
    Free Member

Any more suggestions?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best tyres for CX’ is closed to new replies.