Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • best tyre for wet slippery roots, rocks and general slippyness?
  • wurzel
    Free Member

pretty much as the title 😉

your opinions based on your experinces please

been looking at getting Continental Speed King Super Sonic 2.1in

cheers!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Continental Speed King Super Sonic 2.1in

I’d suggest 40a maxxis highrollers or medusas.

glenp
    Free Member

Best tyre set-up for those conditions would be very much lower pressures, in which case I wouldn’t go for Conti Speed Kings which are very flimsy. Fast, but flimsy. Pressures make a bigger difference than brand/model, in my experience. I’d get a good grippy all-rounder and run them as low as you dare to just about avoid pinch flats (30psi ish – depends on rockiness).

njee20
    Free Member

I like that smilie, very good indeed.

I also agree with the sentiment, Speed Kings are not particularly grippy, and the SS version is very prone to cuts on rocks.

Mud Xs are excellent in generally wet conditions, or Racing Ralphs are good on most stuff if it’s a bit drier, assuming you want a light-ish XC tyre, which makes the above suggestion rather pointless!

specializedneeds

I didn’t like Mountain Kings (black chilli 2.2) in anything remotely slippy so can’t imagine speed kings will fair any better – for me.

hora
    Free Member

Swampthing 60a/2.35

thefallguy
    Free Member

Whatever you choose, run them tubeless at lower pressures to find more grip. I run spesh eskars which feel really sketchy in the wet at 40psi, but when i halve the pressure it transforms the tyre and releases lots more grip.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthing 2.35 supertacky. Singleply for XC, dual ply for DH. Pressures as low as you dare (18psi for me on the dual plys)

glenp
    Free Member

It is very very rare for people to come to our skills sessions with anything like the correct pressures – they commonly claim that they can’t ride wet roots, but at the same time have rock hard tyres. It is also quite common for the same people to have gone through several sets of tyres in their quest for the best model, all the while running them so hard that they don’t work!

To be honest, I’d try taking some air out of the tyres you’ve already got.

RHSno2
    Free Member

He’s right.

0091paddy
    Free Member

I used Continental Speed King 2.3’s at Bristol Bike Fest, which is mainly roots/rocks. They were fine, no problems.

Team mate used Kenda Small block eights, and again he was fine.

I honestly don’t understand all this chat about tyre choice anyway, all I could hear at mayhem was “I really don’t know what tyres to us” etc

If you are a good confident rider, they make very little difference! If unsure, just slow down.

sofatester
    Free Member

I honestly don’t understand all this chat about tyre choice anyway, all I could hear at mayhem was “I really don’t know what tyres to us” etc

If you are a good confident rider, they make very little difference!

Well said that man

The post to end all tyre posts!

Edit – also a marketing managers worst nightmare

wurzel
    Free Member

i should’ve mentioned that the use is for xc. I’m currently using trailrakers at 35psi and finding them a little bit sketchy at slower speeds.

Maybe I should just trust them more….. 😳

yeah that smiley made me smile too 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye ‘rakers are a bit funny, proper skethcy in the dry, only of any real use in absolutely awful 6 inch deep filth. Technique over wet roots is aim for grip before and after.

Sounds like to need a XC all rounder, if its not an XC race situation. I still hate the speedkings, thin, soft, naff all sideknob, rip prone, dodgy beads. Consider a 60a or 70a 2.1 highroller. Rolls well, you can crank them over, durable, no need for silly pressures and pretty dependible in mixed and wet conditions. Ace on rock.

If its really wet medusas or swampthings in a 40a or 60a.

hora
    Free Member

Dunno about a confident rider. Swampthing’s are the only tyres that I can snatch my front brake on and NOT get it totally wrong. Alot of tyres I couldnt say that about.

snowpaul
    Free Member

hello

I agree with the above – run lower pressures – tbh trailrakers are superb on the rear but I found dire on the front on roots / rocks….

I dont stress too much with tyres as I no longer race – for normal trail riding I would suggest Bonty Jones ACX front and rear ( or a Panaracer Fire )at 30ish psi – if wet n horrid use a MUDX on the front and a trailraker on the rear.

Thats tyre choice sorted. Based on Peak / lake / dales riding.

paul 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

‘rakers a proper mud tyre, def not for rocks and roots. As above, nice big tyre at low pressure you will be good. I like Kenda and Schwalbe.

MrAgreeable

Thirded that man! Only on mountain bike and hi-fi forums will you get so many people obsessing over things that make so little difference.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto the confidence and pressure comments,

highroler 2.35 kevlar SPC at 27.5psi is an entirely different beast to highroler 2.35 kevlar SPC at 30psi!

I’m running a 2.4 hollyroller (think its one size fits all DPC, 60a, steel) on the rear at 27.5psi. Its so good, transformed my hardtail form what i thought was good, to actualy combining the best bits of how it was before, with the uphill grip and speed of the giant anthem-x !

Looking at new hardtail frames (usual upgrade itch) but keep hearing stories of 2.4’s not fitting and i’m lothed to drop this setup!

foxyrider
    Free Member

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER Buy these – Kenda King of Traction unless its a quagmire – Absolutely awful in anything apart from deep mud – don’t even try little rocks, roots or pebbles etc – you’ll be off – Just thought I would warn everybody!

MrSpoon
    Free Member

Keep coming back to my Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.2's – yes my SpeedKings and Mountain Kings are faster but for all round grip all year around the Fire XC's (tubeless version) remain my first choice.

They're just great for all riding.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘best tyre for wet slippery roots, rocks and general slippyness?’ is closed to new replies.