Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best tyre for snow
  • dot
    Free Member

I know we have the Schwable studded ones and the super fat Surley 5″ thingies.

But what about your yer run of the mill tires?

Would a 2.5 Big Earl be preferable to a 1.5 Mud Shark? Does it depend on the type of snow?

Out for a quick ride/play this evening – which will tyre will cope best in a couple of inches of snow?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Trailrakers pumped up hard

MoreCashThanDash

My Trailrakers have been fine in snow in the past – may be commuting on them later in the week so I’ll check for you…..

furry_marmot
    Free Member

60a 2.5″ WetScreams @ 40psi.

smiffy

As for mud, but yes, no two snow rides are the same!

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

You’re going to change your tyres even though it’s just a “quick ride/play this evening “…?

You need to learn to ride!

Olly
    Free Member

what tyres for my snowy commute?

whatevers on the car at the time 😉 , a faff to change i find (pirrellis i believe)

TheGingerOne

Continental Cross Country 1.5’s I find pretty good.
    They don’t seem to pick up the snow and seem to grip well, plus tons of clearance if it did start to clog up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

always been tempted to get some 2.1 swampthings and a big bag of stainless self tapping screws.

Lummox

had a play this morning

2.1 schwalbe mud sharks, peeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrfiiiiiiiik!

only slight slips came on tarmac whilst heavy front braking or turning uber tight, but then you’re just practising drifts right?

devs
    Free Member

I have owned allconmers in snow this winter. 😀 In normal conditions I’m mid pack. Been riding a 456 summer season with ghetto’d 2.35 60a swampthings.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I found my Conti Survival Pros to work really well last night. I’d say riding me bike with those on, would be easier than walking, at the mo…

dot
    Free Member

You’re going to change your tyres even though it’s just a “quick ride/play this evening “…?

No I’m not going to change tyres, I have two bikes one with Big Earls fitted and the other sporting Mud Shark 1.5s so eat yellow snow, carrot nose!

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on the snow. If you’ve got more than 3″ of it, you want soft big tyres to ride above it – especally if it’s old. If it’s icy, then snow often hides ice so you’re in trouble without studs. If it’s shallow snow then it doesn’t matter really – muds are where it’s at.

sq225917
    Free Member

Bonty Mud x skinnies were good at lunch, might be a bit colder, tonight though, we’ll see.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Best tyre for snow is the biggest tyre you’ve got at a very low psi eg. 10psi.
    Best tyre for ice is anything with metal studs.

myheadsashed

Surly Large Margs

simondbarnes

Specialized All Conditions Armadillo 700×25 @ 100psi were fine for me today in the snow 🙂

Off road I like something with plenty of volume run at low pressure, something like a conti diesel at 20ish psi.

markenduro
    Free Member

Bonty acx 29ers were good for me today

soma_rich
    Free Member

Spesh Chunder 2.3 was gripping really well earlier. I still rode like a big girl though 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

big volume preferable.

my conti verticals seemed good today (perhaps this is what they ARE good at!!)

timber

Been out to mess about, took bike with 2.35? irc kujos on, starting at about 60psi, finsihing at about 20psi due to me not being bothered to fix slow punctures.
    makes no difference it seems as best way to stop is to lean bike over and crash in a big snow cloud – my other option was to hit the gate

shall take out the ss with skinny 1.9 Maxxis on tomorrow for comparison

genesis
    Free Member

Nokian Gazzaloddi Muds.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Intense DH Mud 50 PSI were really good earlier on today.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best tyre for snow’ is closed to new replies.