Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Best tubeless inflation system?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Airshot at £50 seems the best option?

bigbloke
    Free Member

It is 🙂

oikeith

I only got the Joe Blow Booster over the Airshot because my track pump was rubbish and fancied a new one!

wildc4rd
    Free Member

For twice that you can get one of the little JCB compressors, useful for loads of other things as well!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got one of these to do tubeless road. It’s fine if you chop the supplied head off and just stick the hose over the valve. A few quid cheaper than the airshot. If it’s just for mtb or CX though save yourself 50 quid and just use a coke bottle.

rickon
    Free Member

joemmo
    Free Member

Airwave Airblast pump. Have just this very last minute seated a tubeless road tyre first time with no drama. (Fingers crossed)

Also done MTB tyres with it, similarly without issue

oldnpastit

Ghetto inflator.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Track pump and Fairy liquid.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m very fond of my Lidl compressor…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I just use a 5 litre garden sprayer with the wand removed, molgrips pinching the hose to hold the air back, then push the hose over the valve, and undo the molgrips. Never fails.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Airwave airblast for me also. Decent pump for the money. £50.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Airshot or similar would be my recommendation as someone with a cheap compressor that no longer cuts out properly and a flash charger. The flash charger is good and handy for travel but is extra faf when you just want a track pump and the cheap compressors don’t appear to be built to last since mine is broken, my dad’s is broken and last time I went to the tip there was a whole row of them at the metal recycling point

chestrockwell

I have one of those Zefal foot operated ones. Never failed to seal tubeless so job done.

beefheart
    Free Member

I just use a 5 litre garden sprayer with the wand removed, molgrips pinching the hose to hold the air back, then push the hose over the valve, and undo the molgrips. Never fails.

Do you seal up the blow off valve first?

scotroutes

I’ve yet to fail with a standard track pump.

jonnyboi

You’re my hero.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My new wheels do go with a track pump but I’d have the air shot having used one. Would also travel with it if I was away racing etc. Which rules out compressors and some of the home brew options

molgrips
    Free Member

Honestly, if you think it’s as easy as using fairy liquid, then I can only say you’ve been lucky so far.

Some combinations go up easily with a track pump, some really don’t.

scotroutes

Possibly, but there’s a very good chance I’ve fitted more combinations than you have too.

(and I did say “yet”) 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

Up until the first time I mounted WTB tyres on WTB rims, I’d have said bottle rocket or Airshot depending how posh. In my experience of tyre fitting in kitchens in residential areas often at night, compressors are such a non-starter I never even seriously priced one.

So far every WTB TCS tyre I’ve fitted to a TCS rim has gone straight up with a track pump as easily as putting air in a tube. No frantic pumping or heroic efforts. Proper UST wheels are the only thing I’ve seen come close to this.

Northwind

Airshot is a nice wee thing (and can be cheaper if you get the schwalbe branded one). Not sure I see the point in the pumps since they’re more expensive than an airshot and a pump…

But that’s not best. For the home, a compressor is best. And for away from home, my fire extinguisher kicks the arse of an airshot, by virtue of having massively more capacity and therefore run time, and it cost me about £20 to make. It takes forever to pump it back up, mind, maybe I should have used a smaller can.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Yep. Mavic UST system. With a mavic tyre on a cross max rim you just inflate like normal with any pump. They just inflate on the rim like your blowing up an innertube. It does show that if tyre and rims are fully engineered to work together, it can be seemless. My pulse tyre is light too, no seepage and stayed up. Wheelset didn’t need taping, and came with all adapters, compatible sealant and valves. Bliss.

jonnyboi

Another vote for airshot. Great bit of kit. Plus it’s nice to support a home grown company

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But that’s not best. For the home, a compressor is best. And for away from home, my fire extinguisher kicks the arse of an airshot, by virtue of having massively more capacity and therefore run time, and it cost me about £20 to make.

Only if you have e space like a garage or shed. Airshot wins for small spaces for me certainly, just enough room for bikes and tools here (see thread about bikes in flat) as for travelling again the air shot will go in my bike bag, case etc. Travel fine and is nice and light if I’m not based in a car all trip. Given you have to put about the same amount of air in both Airshot seems to be the winner unless your doing a hire fleet.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My front tyre to took 3 people to inflate it, one operating the compressor and the other two holding the tyre in contact with the rim. It wasn’t easy! I suggest that someone using a track pump would have failed (as did my airshot).

cp

BETO inflator from merlin, not failed to seat a tyre first time yet – whether it be road or phat mtb. Very solid and well made, feels bomb proof.

https://www.merlincycles.com/beto-cja-001s-tubeless-air-tank-inflator-98943.html

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 
    Honestly, if you think it’s as easy as using fairy liquid, then I can only say you’ve been lucky so far.
    Some combinations go up easily with a track pump, some really don’t.

Knack. I used to struggle a lot doing it with a track pump and resorted to CO2 (which is really quick, but you have to do it first to seat, then deflate and put sealant in, then pump back up).

But one time thought I’d give the track pump a go again and just went crazy with the bubbles, ensuring every possible hole is cover by a mound of foam, then just pump. Done that and it works almost every time now and done nearly a dozen like this. Doesn’t require furious pumping either.

I’d say it is made easier with wider rims which seem to seat better, and TR tyres probably help. On the other hand pumping up an old non-TR on an old rim, and still could do it with a track pump now.

One of the newer rims I had and a new TR tyre just went up first time dead easy without any bubbles at all.

Other thing is I only do Maxxis.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But one time thought I’d give the track pump a go again and just went crazy with the bubbles, ensuring every possible hole is cover by a mound of foam, then just pump. Done that and it works almost every time now and done nearly a dozen like this. Doesn’t require furious pumping either.

I’d say some stuff has got better but I’ve seen bike shop veterans struggle with some combinations, even front/rear of the same stuff has been variable and many were certainly beyond any track pump.

molgrips
    Free Member

resorted to CO2 (which is really quick, but you have to do it first to seat, then deflate and put sealant in, then pump back up).

No, you don’t!

Other thing is I only do Maxxis

So when you said ‘any combination’ you only meant Maxxis?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You will be better off with the track pump and something like the airshot or beto, as using a combi pump as a normal pump is annoying if the main airway is through the large cylinder as well, as basically you have to inflate that as well as the tyre.

If you take care to shut down the chamber before disconnecting the pump then it is less bad but there is still a hysterisis effect to the pumping, which is annoying.

The beto looks like it might be a better solution but not as neat or portable as the airshot.

oldtalent
    Free Member

A track pump & fairy liquid is brilliant until that day that it doesn’t work & you are an angry sweating mess after 20 minutes.
    A 16gram co2 inflator has never failed for me so far.. & in bulk are only about 60p each.
    I would have to change a lot of tyres to justify the price of an airshot. If they were £30 or so I would get one but £50 is too much.

alexxx
    Free Member

What about a £20 soda stream bottle and £5 worth of attachments?

I dont fancy the coke bottle / bomb idea myself but would make my own with a metal cylinder.

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon I’ve spent more than £50 on CO2 bought from bike shops and such over the 10 or so years I’ve been using tubeless. Airshots weren’t around when I started though – if they had been I’d have had one there and then.

scotroutes

Do Stans still recommend not using CO2 as it affects the liquid?

theboatman
    Free Member

Another vote for the BETO from Merlin at £42, seemed a bit of unnecessary purchase when I got it. But having a life where time phaffing equals less time riding, this has been worth every penny. Seems absolutely bombproof to, think I’ll be handing it on to my kids when I’m brown bread.

molgrips
    Free Member

They said it might not last quite as long – and they also said have the valve at the top and the liquid at the bottom when you do it. Quite hard to get this the wrong way round tbh 🙂

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Given you have to put about the same amount of air in both Airshot seems to be the winner unless your doing a hire fleet.

The point of high capacity isn’t about doing lots of tyres, it’s about bad tempered tyres- being able to gas it for much longer while you fanny about makes a big difference.

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 
    No, you don’t!

Yes you do. Unless you want Stanimals 😉

CO2 + Stans, doesn’t mix.

So when you said ‘any combination’ you only meant Maxxis?

Find where I said “any combination” 😉

I just replied to your assertion that we must just be lucky getting them to inflate with track pump and fairy liquid, with my experience.

Actually I will add Schwalbe Hans Dampf and a Geax Goma to the list. Just they came with a bike and since replaced with my normal Maxxis choices, but had no issues doing them tubeless also.

ransos
    Free Member

Ghetto inflator.

Would you like me to post the photo of what happens when it splits?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Best tubeless inflation system?’ is closed to new replies.