Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best tubeless bikepacking tyres with good flint protection?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I currently have Schwalbe Racing Ralphs on my 29er, but they are paper thin and prone to tearing easily when caught by a flint. I have ripped them twice to date on the tread rather than the wall.

Looking for a good bikepacking tyre that I can run tubeless and will give adequate puncture and flint protection. Happy to accept a 200g weight penalty for the right tyre.

Recommendations please.

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Vertical pros for most use here. Never bike packed on them, they might be rubbish at that I guess.

Garry_Lager

If I was bike-packing I’d be on UST – but I’m a portly rider and I know that they deliver v reliable puncture-free riding for me. I use TLR rims and tyres these days but pay the price of the occasional flat.

If you’re lighter, and / or are into bike-packing at pace, then I guess UST tyres will be too heavy. I’ve had reliable results with TLR purgatorys and high rollers, never punctured them, but obv they’re for more technical riding and not mile-munchers. I’d consider something like this though if you were bike-packing over rockier trails.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Not sure if you can get them in a 29er but when I lived in a flint-prone area I used single-ply Maxxis Larsens on my HT after suffering many ripped tyres.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conti are shortly going to release a bikepacking specific tyre. Watch this space.

d45yth
    Free Member

I only use Maxxis for any kind of tyres run tubeless. I’ve had too many nightmares with all other popular brands.

flanagaj
    Free Member

d45yth : What Maxxis do you run? The Larsen UST do not appear to be available in 29″ as I have heard good reports about them in 26″

jameso

The biggest EXO or UST-casing Maxxis you can get – 2.4 Ardents here. Chilterns flint.
    Despite the doubt you’ll be braking harder due to the load and hitting stuff more clumsily at times so tyre choice may be a bit different to cope with that. Or not. Your call..

AlexSimon

I was just going to suggest similar to Jameso – although not necessarily with the width. That will depend on how much rolling resistance/weight you can put up with.
    Ardent, Ardent Race or Ikon – all in EXO. Unfortunately they are all fairly pricey.

GregMay
    Free Member

Saguaros with the TNT casing. Perfect tyre for everything I’ve road/raced on.

jameso

rolling resistance

– actually lower off-road with larger, lower pressure tyres ime, particularly with a bike that’s carrying 10-15lbs of kit. Tho I did use std Saguaros when weight and speed was more of a focus on less techy trails. Std casing, tubeless. Not the toughest or best comfort + control but a great tread and easy to repair trail-side.

scotroutes

I’m using Ardent 2.25s as they are already pretty voluminous, especially on the Arch ex rims.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Given my bikepacking ventures are reserved for dry weather and trails I am leaning towards a pair of Maxxis Ikon Exo SC.

flatfish
    Free Member

Maxxis both ends.
    Ardent race on the front.
    Ikon on the back.

Both been really good. Only had them on since April so not had a winter on them but spot on for bike packing.

brassneck

Plus one. Much more resilient than the Ralphs (flint central round my way, costs a fortune it tyres) in fact I haven’t holed one yet, but no slower and slightly grippier (unless leaning right on the edge). Best all rounder yet for me.

benp1

Whats diff about bikepacking? Just the weight?

AlasdairMc

GregMay – Member

Yep, agreed. An absolute bitch to seat to begin with, but once the bead stretches a bit they’re fine. My rear one is starting to wear down a fair bit after about 1000 miles though, so unsure how much more I’ll get out of it.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Whats diff about bikepacking? Just the weight?

Weight does come into it, but you are not riding as aggressively due to the extra weight on your bike, so a tyre with better rolling resistance and less grip when cornering can be used. You also end up riding a fair amount of road sections as well.

Not sure about other bikepackers, but for me I want a tyre that is not going to tear easily when you catch a flint or rock. Ripping a tubeless tyre when miles from anywhere is a disaster. Of course you carry a tube a tyre wall repair with you, but you want to avoid the hassle.

jameso

once the bead stretches a bit they’re fine

Useful, I avoided the TNT versions as I’d heard they were tight. Yet the ‘easy-seat’ std versions aren’t that tough and I got a couple of cuts, then a proper flint-slice a few weeks ago killed the rear. Good tread, I like them. Lasted well although very worn on the rear when it died. Rolled fast on tarmac tho..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maxxis EXO stuff. Doesn’t matter about being UST, or even tubeless ready, as most are tubeless ready anyway, just not all are certified as such.

I run Minion EXO 2.5 front and HR2 EXO 2.4 rear on the full sus. Loads of grip and knobbles aren’t disintegrating and no sidewall tears.

That said, they’re single ply and one did get a hole in the top, but was a sharp git of a thing in the Alps that just punched right through and not sure even dual ply would protect it. Patched up though and been riding it for a year and it returned to the Alps on more sharp flinty stuff with no problems.

HR2 is probably not rollable enough, it’s a grippy tyre. I use an Ardent on my hard tail which has a bit more xc duties, though I’m not sure I’ll stick with it. Rolls, but a lot less grip. Regular HR maybe. I’ve also got a Larsen TT spare that I inherited that I might give a go. Bit of a dry weather tyre though I think, hardpack or loose over hardpack I understand.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best tubeless bikepacking tyres with good flint protection?’ is closed to new replies.