Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best treatment/action for IBT injury
  • jerrys
    Free Member

Got a nagging pain on the outside of my right knee. A quick google makes me think its my IBT. I had it last year and it eventually went, but I overdid it a couple of months ago and it came back. It’s getting slowly better but I’m taking it easy.

Has anybody got some good tips to speed up the healing process/ i.e lay off the bike totally, short easy rides only? Exercises? I’m mainly doing what passes for roads in this part of the world to avoid any panic ‘must get out of spd moments’/falling in ditches.

Also, what’s the best way of making sure it doesn’t come back apart from the obvious of not leaping on a bike when totally unfit to do 50+ hilly miles ?

cheers

brooess
    Free Member

go and see a physio for a proper assessment of the problem, it may not be what you think, or the solution you decide on may do more damage in the long term…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agree with the above. If it is itb, find the root cause and sort that. If it’s not itb, you need to know what it is. I once suffered with what I thought was itb, turned out it was a nerve binding around my knee. Bit of flossing out that right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Agree also. I had/have a lot of ITB pain and bother, I always figured it’s just the price you pay for mashing your leg twice. Went along to the sports physio at my work and a combo of massage and DIY fixes they taught me has made a massive difference (I was so used to it, that I couldn’t sleep the first night after, because it felt so weird to have a more or less normal leg!)

I’m probably on the extremes but for stuff like this I’d always say get the pros in. You’d not hesitate to pay £40 to fix a car or a house so why for your leg?

back2basics
    Free Member

start cheap. buy a foam roller and roll it every night for a week

Onzadog
    Free Member

After talking in depth with a guy who knows what he’s talking about, as much as he (and I) find foam rollers helpful for some stuff, they do nothing for the itb.

He described it as being like the climbing ropes that used to be in the old school gyms. No matter what you do, you’re never going to stretch it. Similarly, you’re never going to shorten it.

You might however, have a muscle weakness/imballance elsewhere that puts too much focus on it. Sort the imballance and the itb is fine.

My problem was glute medius.

TiRed

Foam roller, lower saddle 0.5 cm at a time, and move it forward 0.5 cm on the rails. It’s often a sign of over-extension.

Worked for me with all the same symptoms.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best treatment/action for IBT injury’ is closed to new replies.