Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best train stop for Cannock Chase
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

Traveling from Birmingham to Cannock Chase. I usually get off at Rugeley Town, but that involves a cycle ride of death (the roads are narrow and the drivers are mad). Is there a better train stop to get me inside Cannock Chase without close encounters with the Grim Reaper.

Thank you

funkynick

Use the Heritage trail which runs up to Birches Valley from the centre of Rugeley. You then only need to battle the traffic for a short way along Horsefair, which while busy has always seemed quite manageable.

Other than that, I would have thought Hednesford would have been the closest station.

Edit…

Just thought, the end of the trail is closed, and has been for ages, so it’s been diverted through the playing fields instead. Just use the open gate into the playing field and head for the track up the side.

dustytrails

Why not just cycle up the A460 to where Marquis Drive crosses it and ride from there? I think there’s a path at the side of the road you could ride on if you don’t fancy the road ride. You could do either FTD or MT first whichever takes your fancy….Think I would do FTD first and finish with Monkey.

dustytrails

You could of course do this from Hednesford too

hammyuk
    Free Member

May head up there this weekend in the car – saves messing with trains 😆

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Looking at Google and street view i’ll try Hednesford train station.

@Hammyuk I hope you get kidnapped by Honey Badgers

hammyuk
    Free Member

They let me go last time round – not enough peanut butter 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

May try this later in the year.

hammyuk
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    May try this later in the year.

Make sure it’s crunchy….

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the mud like there?

dustytrails

Not too much mud when I went a week or 2 ago…just puddles mostly. Certainly a lot better than my local trails!

funkynick

The Dog and the Monkey are wet but not really muddy, being mostly pebble/hardpack then they standing up pretty well.

Pretty much anything off-piste on the other hand is interesting… in a muddy, slippy, slidey sort of way!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rode there for the last 3 weeks as local stuff is just bog in parts. It’s running fine. Holding up much better than a few years ago since a lot of it has been rearmoured.

jamj1974

Hednesford for sure!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thanks Jamj1974 (young pup)

Should be intresting on a Gravel bike. Hope to leave some blood,tears and maybe some hair if the weekend looks dry

hammyuk
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best train stop for Cannock Chase’ is closed to new replies.